Small Shohin JBP Progression

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
bunce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: BONSAI NW

Small Shohin JBP Progression

Post by bunce »

Hi, Guys, back again with an older project. I found a small challenging black pine a few years ago, sadly I don't think it eligible for the shohin progression competition, but I want to share it anyway.

I bought the tree from Trevor at bonsai art, and the challenging thing about this tree was it had no buds at the top. My solution was to use the back branch as the apex by wiring it up along the back side of the trunk to form the apex. I'd hoped that over time it would graft itself onto the trunk, I even exposed the cambium and added grafting tape. however I am still waiting for this to happen, and perhaps I can apply new techniques to see if I can promote the fusing.

Ths photo is from 13/9/15 you can see the limited buds.

the next photo is from 2/11/15 you can see I fed the tree a lot of nitrogen and the buds were extending well

22/3/16 after the summer candle pruning the new buds had extended and were hardening off. I would go on to bud select after this.

29/8/16 Winter had passed, and I took the opportunity to repot into a beautiful Bigei pot. The buds have been selected and starting to take shape.

Matt
Last edited by bunce on August 16th, 2017, 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
:hooray: Hakuju-En Bonsai Nursery - Shohin - Mame - Tokoname Pots - Display Tables - Repot - Styling work - https://hakujuenbonsai.com/ :aussie:
bunce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Small Shohin JBP Progression

Post by bunce »

21/10/16 we can see spring has started the swell the buds

Today 16/8/16 the tree has had some bud selection following the return from Japan. The needles are now 40% smaller than the first image, more rigid, and straight.

I took the opportunity to photograph the back branch to show you guys what I did:

As the buds extend for the third year of refinement I'll have the opportunity to develop the back area and the overall structure of the tree.

I want to take this chance to highlight the importance of Nitrogen when developing pines. Contrary to popular belief, you will be able to develop smaller needles with High Nitrogen fertiliser. This is because what we are doing to the tree when we candle it is incredibly stressful to the tree. The reserve nitrogen stored in the roots helps soften the blow to the tree. It's also crucial that when you candle to cut every bud at the same time, Why?

When the tree is asked to develop a second flush of candles at the same time, it will develop them all the same time. Even though it has reserves of nitrogen to do this, it is going to produce more buds at the same time, with limited supplies. This means every bud and subsequent needles will be smaller, and more rigid. This is absolutely vital. Using a progressive 3-week de-candling strategy will undermine this hard work.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed. I'll continue to maintain this thread through the seasons.

Matt
:hooray: Hakuju-En Bonsai Nursery - Shohin - Mame - Tokoname Pots - Display Tables - Repot - Styling work - https://hakujuenbonsai.com/ :aussie:
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

awesome photography mate :worship: :worship:
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Matthew wrote:awesome photography mate
Yep!!! :clap:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

Hi Matt,... little bit of a play hope you don t mind,not sure if possible but a little bit more room(as tree grows) to move going up than sideways.

I noticed a nice wobble in the trunk from your side shot,... now my new front and the new side elevation slightly leaning back and then coming forward with top over the middle.

Just a bit of fun,...dismiss if nonsense as you will only know if possible....cheers
phpS4ikOCAM.jpg
phpTxiWMxAM.jpg
phpTESK0mAM.jpg
phpZ96CNEAM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bunce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bunce »

anthonyW wrote:Hi Matt,... little bit of a play hope you don t mind,not sure if possible but a little bit more room(as tree grows) to move going up than sideways.

I noticed a nice wobble in the trunk from your side shot,... now my new front and the new side elevation slightly leaning back and then coming forward with top over the middle.

Just a bit of fun,...dismiss if nonsense as you will only know if possible....cheers
phpS4ikOCAM.jpg
phpTxiWMxAM.jpg
phpTESK0mAM.jpg
phpZ96CNEAM.jpg
Thanks for the input, I think your designs are valid, and quite nice, however i like the simplicity of the current way the tree is laid out. I have a soft spot for 'bunjin-esque' trees.

A Brief Update: Candles have had a short extension and started to burst and this year's needles are forming.

Matt
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

:cool: :beer:

Anthony
bunce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bunce »

a quick update

October 2018

bunce.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”