[Pearcy] Semi Cascade Squamata

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

[Pearcy] Semi Cascade Squamata

Post by Pearcy001 »

Popped into Bonsai Sensation a couple of weeks back. There were a few Squamata's on sale that I ran my eyes over upon entry.

This tree was dense and healthy. I don't think I took a photo when I first got it home but this was it after a brief initial thinning of irrelevant shoots and forks of 3, although it doesn't look like I've touched it what so ever.

The following day I went out and began work on some further thinning and more strategic branch selection. There was the beginnings of quite a few inner shoots hidden deep within the growth. Once cleaned up a little more it was then left alone to let in airflow and light, until I could find the time to begin wiring and styling the tree.

The other day I finally managed to find the time to get stuck into this one, spending the night in my garage with no distractions. I had already decided on the initial design in my head when I had first purchased the tree so I got straight into it. I also wired the upper growth out of the way that I planned to remove later in order to let more light in.

I initially wasn't sure if a squamata would suit a Shohin size tree, but being semi-cascade I think it should be fine as long as the foliage doesn't fill in too quickly. Tree is currently sitting at around 120mm high and 210mm wide. Plan will be to extend the lowest branch in order to create some more negative space between the pads.

Alot of the shoots that I kept were the weak, inner shoots that I plan to strengthen up and extend. Because they were so weak alot of it hasn't been wired yet as I know what will happen to them if I try haha. Once it's repotted I'll also bring the bottom branch down further, closer to the trunk.

Still a long way to go but I'm somewhat happy with the initial design, although I'm sure there will be many changes in the future (possibly removing all the right side foliage).

As always, thoughts and comments welcome.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pearcy001 on September 3rd, 2017, 3:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Slatzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Swampy, figs

Re: [Pearcy] Semi Cascade Squamata

Post by Slatzy »

It's a nice little tree and a great design. I'm curious as to why you made the foliage so sparse.
Cheers slatz.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pearcy001 »

Slatzy wrote:It's a nice little tree and a great design. I'm curious as to why you made the foliage so sparse.
Cheers slatz.
Hey Slatzy,

I prefer junipers where the internal structure is visable, personal preference really. Im just not a fan of the excessive pad coming off a thin branch. It was also cut back for branch ramification rather than leaving long sections of branch and will extend and fill out in time - only an initial styling so far.

All the remaining growth will extend and fill out in time, as I said alot was the weaker small internal shoots that I kept. Once the shoots extend it won't look so naked.

I think with Junipers negative space and vision of the branching is often undervalued. Here's one example of of a Juniper with this that I love.

Cheers,
Pearcy.Image

Last edited by Pearcy001 on September 3rd, 2017, 3:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Nate.bonsai »

Looks like a good start and I am a sucker for a semi-cascade.

Is there any risk in taking off so much foliage on a juniper? I have a memory of reading that they can throw a fit if you take them back too far, as they receive most of their energy from their foliage, rather than roots.

Also, I love your pot feet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pearcy001 »

Nate.bonsai wrote:Looks like a good start and I am a sucker for a semi-cascade.

Is there any risk in taking off so much foliage on a juniper? I have a memory of reading that they can throw a fit if you take them back too far, as they receive most of their energy from their foliage, rather than roots.

Also, I love your pot feet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I too have read it Nate, but I haven't had any trouble in my LIMITED experience. I won't be repotting it for a while now so it will have time to recover.

As you can see from the before photo it was nice and healthy before I began work, if it was looking sickly I wouldn't have removed as much as I did.

Whenever I have removed foliage like this I won't touch the roots for some time until I know it has recovered. I wonder if it's partly an old wives tale? More than likely I've just been getting lucky :shifty: As stated my experiences with Junipers is limited, don't hate me if you try it and it dies :reading:

Re the pot feet, nothing like a few flattish pebbles to let the air flow underneath. The timber bench becomes mouldy when no space is left, I find it stops the build up from occuring. Glad you like the au-natural feet mate :yes:

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Last edited by Pearcy001 on September 3rd, 2017, 2:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Slatzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Swampy, figs

Post by Slatzy »

Thanks for the input, and I can see what you mean with that example.
Cheers
Slatz.
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by robb63 »

Hi Pearcy
That was a really good clear explanation of what you did and why :tu:
Photos are good too. Explanations like that are GOLD for new comers. Cheers for your effort.
Also totally agree with regard to juniper styling. IMO someone should ban those "pom pom" cloud pads
Whatever they call them they are ugly. Ebay and gum tree sales are full of them. Gives junipers a bad look.
Showing the branching as you said does take a lot more work, wiring and placing each branch etc. The end
result is always so much better. Cheers for posting that.
Bob.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

:wave: Nice one Percy - the ever popular garage at night time styling. Studies show 9 out 10 full time workers with children & busy lifestyles recommend this. [it's where the true magic happens!]
cheers KC&R

Return to “Pines and Junipers”