Shimpaku Juniper Forest from cuttings

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
pjames
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers and Pines
Bonsai Age: 4

Shimpaku Juniper Forest from cuttings

Post by pjames »

Someone asked me where I got all these Shimpaku Junipers and told me that it would cost me $$ to purchase all of them. I told her it costs me nothing, they are all 1 year old from cuttings. They are all from 2016 cuttings. This year, i've got early birds and some of them have bigger trunks. I've got plenty more to check.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pjames on September 20th, 2017, 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pjames
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Shimpaku Juniper Forest from cuttings

Post by pjames »

This is one of the thickest trunk I was able to successfully rooted on a Shimpaku Juniper from a cutting. Size of wire in comparison is 5mm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pjames on September 20th, 2017, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi pjames , I like these forest groups ,no doubt with your wiring skills they will come up a treat look forward to future posts and updates on these . its herd to get reasonable straight Shimps in any volume but I guess if you grow your own from cuttings then anything is possible .

Cheers . Alpine .
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Good effort James.
Considering your going to the effort of documenting your success can you elaborate a little more regarding your methodology?
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
pjames
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pjames »

alpineart wrote:Hi pjames , I like these forest groups ,no doubt with your wiring skills they will come up a treat look forward to future posts and updates on these . its herd to get reasonable straight Shimps in any volume but I guess if you grow your own from cuttings then anything is possible .

Cheers . Alpine .
Thanks Alpine. I will leave the forest growing for the whole season this year and will start wiring in winter. I've got some tall straight shimpaku from last year that ill be using for phoenix graft projects.

Cheers

Return to “Pines and Junipers”