Pine ID & Shaping Advice

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
count_thumper
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Blue Cedar
Bonsai Age: 1

Pine ID & Shaping Advice

Post by count_thumper »

Hi All,

This pine has been sitting around for a while as I have been sure how to approach it.

(Apologies for the crappy photos, hard to get a good perspective.)
https://imgur.com/gallery/gzEgd

I was thinking of turning it into a literati and using raffia to bend the top / although maybe it's too heavy an approach and would just snap the branch?

Also any ID on the type of pine? I was thinking maybe a black pine, but the buds are so large.

Many thanks!
RogerW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Re: Pine ID & Shaping Advice

Post by RogerW »

My money is on Japanese Black Pine, definitely a two needle pine..

Roger
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

There are lots of pine species that look similar but I'll also go for Japanese Black pine just because they are common as bonsai and this one has the characteristics.
It is very difficult to give styling advice just from one 2d picture. We cannot imagine the trunk movement, etc.

I suspect you already know that options are limited because pines don't bud well on bare wood.
You can cut it down to the lower branches and grow a new tree under controlled conditions but that will take a few years. That should give you trunk taper and branch density which the current tree lacks.
You can work with what's there:
Use the long, taperles trunk and try for literati. Note that literati looks easy but is far more challenging to get right.
Bend the trunk in a few places to get some dynamic trunk movement and use the existing branches wired into position to supply the filling branches. Study some older, collected Japanese junipers and pines to see how they wire branches from near the top of the tree to supply lower foliage.

[quote][/I was thinking of turning it into a literati and using raffia to bend the top / although maybe it's too heavy an approach and would just snap the branch? quote] I can see at least 2 branches at the top of this tree. One looks very strong and will be difficult to bend but there are techniques if you really want it to happen. The thinner one should bend quite readily if that's what you decide to do.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
count_thumper
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by count_thumper »

shibui wrote:There are lots of pine species that look similar but I'll also go for Japanese Black pine just because they are common as bonsai and this one has the characteristics.
It is very difficult to give styling advice just from one 2d picture. We cannot imagine the trunk movement, etc.

I suspect you already know that options are limited because pines don't bud well on bare wood.
You can cut it down to the lower branches and grow a new tree under controlled conditions but that will take a few years. That should give you trunk taper and branch density which the current tree lacks.
You can work with what's there:
Use the long, taperles trunk and try for literati. Note that literati looks easy but is far more challenging to get right.
Bend the trunk in a few places to get some dynamic trunk movement and use the existing branches wired into position to supply the filling branches. Study some older, collected Japanese junipers and pines to see how they wire branches from near the top of the tree to supply lower foliage.
[/I was thinking of turning it into a literati and using raffia to bend the top / although maybe it's too heavy an approach and would just snap the branch? quote] I can see at least 2 branches at the top of this tree. One looks very strong and will be difficult to bend but there are techniques if you really want it to happen. The thinner one should bend quite readily if that's what you decide to do.
Thanks for that Shibui, I previously saw your comment but forgot to his send on the reply :palm:

I've thought it over and I like this pine quite a lot, so I'm going to get someone to do the work for me / rather than mess it up with my inexperience haha.

On a side note, the Shimpaku I bought from you about 10 months ago is thriving - you did a ripper job on the nebari!

Mike
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

count_thumper wrote:
I've thought it over and I like this pine quite a lot, so I'm going to get someone to do the work for me / rather than mess it up with my inexperience haha.

:wave: Count thumper,
Inexperience slowly dissolves with opportunities to experience.
An immediate result by someone else is nowhere near as important as gaining skills & building your confidence for many future results.
Maybe some technical guidance from a club member / workshop? but you'd be robbing yourself of enjoyment & satisfaction if it were not your hands working this tree. :imo:

nice pine btw... I like it quite a lot too....but it's calling out for YOU.

cheers Keep calm.
count_thumper
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by count_thumper »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote:
count_thumper wrote:

:wave: Count thumper,
Inexperience slowly dissolves with opportunities to experience.
An immediate result by someone else is nowhere near as important as gaining skills & building your confidence for many future results.
Maybe some technical guidance from a club member / workshop? but you'd be robbing yourself of enjoyment & satisfaction if it were not your hands working this tree. :imo:

nice pine btw... I like it quite a lot too....but it's calling out for YOU.

cheers Keep calm.
You may be right!

But if I do an awful job, don't say I didn't tell you so :crybye: :lol:
adge0001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper & JBP
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Mornington Peninsula Bonsai Society

Post by adge0001 »

Like others have said, I'd cut it right down to those low branches. Use one as a new leader and start working on your branching.

The reason is due to your tree being vary bare. there is so much space between your branches, in order to balance that out, it needs to do some serious trunk growing.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere."
-Carl Sagan

Return to “Pines and Junipers”