Straggly Junpers

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
KineticBonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus, Willow, Azalea
Bonsai Age: 1

Straggly Junpers

Post by KineticBonsai »

Hi all,
Just after some advice. I bought 6 Junipers (Blue Rug and Sabina) in 140mm pots recently, but they were very neglected, lanky and generally sparse, crappy foliage(Got them very cheap). Putting them into a bigger pot was my first step, they were quite root bound. I cleaned all the dead stuff out of them and anything that was spindly or unproductive and they cleaned up ok. They have plenty of little juvenile shoots sprouting from various points along the main branches etc so Im thinking they will come back ok.
My question is, Should I cut them back harder to the main brainches (about pencil thickness) in order to get them to thicken up and put on as much new growth as possible or maybe just pinch back the existing sparse spindly foliage and slowly bring them back that way?
Thanks in advance
Last edited by KineticBonsai on November 17th, 2017, 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Re: Straggly Junpers

Post by Daluke »

Don’t touch the tree. Water, feed and full sun. Let the tree get vigour and then come back in a year and make an assessment. Junipers don’t respond to cutting back hard to encourage denser growth.
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

consider "Tanuki" for the spindly one, the rains are coming, so finding washed up material is always a chance :fc:
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

:wave: KB,
I may be able to help you visually through a few progression pics of a shimpaku juniper that I have been "patiently" growing on for around the last 12 years. The tree was originally purchased from the now closed Rochester bonsai nursery around 2005-ish?. The date on tag said 1989.
KineticBonsai wrote: maybe just pinch back the existing sparse spindly foliage and slowly bring them back that way?
I wanted to try & retain as much existing branching as possible so started just lightly pinching what foliage it had. The below pics are dated to show how long the results have taken. The tree was never planted in the ground - only increased pot sizes.
Daluke wrote:Don’t touch the tree. Water, feed and full sun. Let the tree get vigour and then come back in a year and make an assessment. Junipers don’t respond to cutting back hard to encourage denser growth.
Restraining from any premature styling or overzealous wiring :shake: - its been 12 years of ONLY feeding, letting grow, & light pinching of extending ends. I feel after 12 years of growing, this young 28 year old tree, is only now ready for it's first serious attack of wiring & refinement /styling (however I could probably still wait a little bit longer......)

Hope this is of some help to you - Keep calm! :wave:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

Very informative KCR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KineticBonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus, Willow, Azalea
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by KineticBonsai »

Hmmm.. ok looks like Im in it for the long haul :)
Thanks for the pics.
That is pretty much what im dealing with but probably even lankier lankier. Oh well, ill just keep feeding and pinching and potting on. They would make a good windswept specimen though :)
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

You've hit the nail on the head KCAR....lol! This is a fabulous visual diary of how to be patient. Congrats!!

Return to “Pines and Junipers”