Canadian White Spruce (Picea Glauca0

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Canadian White Spruce (Picea Glauca0

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi All,
I was visiting my local garden centre to see if there was anything of interest to tempt me to start yet another bonsai :whistle: , and wouldn't you know it, I found this Canadian white spruce. It's only small but a reasonable starter. It's a bit straggly and had two apexes (?) which is probably why no-one wanted it as a Xmas tree.
I brought it home and couldn't stop myself from starting on it before realizing I didn't take a before photo, sorry. :palm: I thinned out some of the branches , jinned one of the apexes and started wiring a couple of branches. I left all the lower branches as sacrificials to encourage the lower trunk to develop a bit more.
Being a colder climate tree I know it may struggle to survive in Queensland, but here's hoping. :fc:
My question is, has anyone living in warmer climate areas had success with growing Canadian Spruce?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Canadian White Spruce (Picea Glauca0

Post by Watto »

I think you may struggle, but if you don't give it a go you will never know!
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raging Bull »

Thanks Watto, whichever way it goes, I'll post any progress or otherwise.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raging Bull »

My spruce is still looking quite well, so when my car automatically (well almost :mrgreen:) pulled into the garden centre I was passing I decided to take a look what was on special. They still had a few left-over Xmas trees, so I decided to get a companion for my first spruce. As a bonus the price was down to $4.95 ! Bargain :!: And this one's a bit bigger and thicker trunked than the first.
I'm leaving the bottom two branches as sacrificials and a few along the trunk for Jinning. A portion of the top of the main trunk will also be jinned but a couple of live branches left a bit lower down.
If they survive I want to eventually make a grouping with a rock, or slab to simulate the mountainous regions the tree normally grows in.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Frank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”