Juniper development advice

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
jgmansell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus,Bougainvillea juniper
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Queensland

Juniper development advice

Post by jgmansell »

ImageImageImage

Hi to all, things seem to be fairly quiet lately so thought It might be a good time to ask for pruning/ development advice. It is a bit overgrown at present, but although I have had this for a few years I still have no clue on how much I can prune without killing it, which is something I CAN do fairly well.
It has recently sent out this new shoot from low on the trunk, which I believe is quite unusual on this species.
Any advice on pruning and further development would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Juniper development advice

Post by shibui »

You can cut plenty off this without endangering the health. I believe you are actually endangering it by NOT pruning. Compare the lowest foliage pad with the one at the top. I can see that the lower one has grown much less. Energy in most trees is directed to the highest healthy part of the tree which then grows better. This is apical dominance. The result is that lower areas get weaker and may eventually die.

You need to prune the top parts quite a lot to reduce vigour up there and allow the lower parts to catch up.
I know it can be daunting for a start but pruning is a vital part of bonsai. Either have a go yourself or get some help.

This tree is now at the stage of needing scissors to trim those shoots back far enough. Fingertip pruning won't take it far enough back. Juniper will often shoot from bare wood but it is safe and normal to just cut back the newer shoots and leave plenty of green leaves where it can make new shoots easily.
It is hard to describe what and how much to take off - easier to show.

Cutting it back a fair bit will not hurt this tree.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jgmansell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jgmansell »

shibui wrote:You can cut plenty off this without endangering the health. I believe you are actually endangering it by NOT pruning. Compare the lowest foliage pad with the one at the top. I can see that the lower one has grown much less. Energy in most trees is directed to the highest healthy part of the tree which then grows better. This is apical dominance. The result is that lower areas get weaker and may eventually die.

You need to prune the top parts quite a lot to reduce vigour up there and allow the lower parts to catch up.
I know it can be daunting for a start but pruning is a vital part of bonsai. Either have a go yourself or get some help.

This tree is now at the stage of needing scissors to trim those shoots back far enough. Fingertip pruning won't take it far enough back. Juniper will often shoot from bare wood but it is safe and normal to just cut back the newer shoots and leave plenty of green leaves where it can make new shoots easily.
It is hard to describe what and how much to take off - easier to show.

Cutting it back a fair bit will not hurt this tree.
Thanks for such a helpful response, I will follow your advice, and I can always get help down the line if I am not happy with the result providing I don’t kill it, and it sounds like that won’t happen. Is it ok to do it now, or should I wait till it cools a little here in Brisbane?

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I prune junipers whenever they need it. I don't think there is any specific pruning season and yours does need doing so stop looking for excuses and get on with it ;) :wave: :wave:
jgmansell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jgmansell »

Thanks again Shibui, I will get on to it. [THUMBS UP SIGN]

jgmansell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jgmansell »

I gave it a haircut as suggested Shibui, not sure if I have done too much or too little, but time will tellImage

jgmansell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jgmansell »

Another pic, not happy with the top, would it be better as jin/shari?

jgmansell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jgmansell »

Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi JG, that's turned into a nice cascade. But you're right about the top, it does not seem to belong there. From the photos you have posted it looks like there are 3 branches growing from that part of the trunk, which is at least one too many, some would argue two too many as you seem to be following the classic cascade shape. If it were mine I would remove the top and the left one, then you would have the classic left,right; left, right configuration with that tree. The top may look ok as well if reduced to a small jin, still with the left branch removed. As with all these matters a lot of personal preference comes into it. The above is only my humble opinion. Good luck with it.
jgmansell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jgmansell »

Thanks RB, I played around with the top this afternoon before I considered the chop, there was a real tangle of fused branches so removed a few and wired. I thought I would let it regrow for a while before making any more decisions.
IMG_2148.JPG
IMG_2149.JPG
IMG_2150.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Wiring the top has improved things a bit but it has not addressed the 2 biggest issues:
1. The straight, thick start to that upright head. I think it either needs movement similar to the rest of the tree or needs to go.

2. The triple fork. These not only promote inverse taper when they thicken up but also interrupt the flow of our eyes along the trunk. Avoid more than 1 branch at any point wherever possible or disguise the fork with foliage or something.

This is still your tree so you can grow it any way you like but you did ask for comment and advice.
jgmansell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jgmansell »

And I appreciate the advice Shibui, I will probably get rid of the top and a side branch, although there are only 2 branches from the same point, the one on the left is actually a bit further down.
In your opinion, would that be a better option than creating movement on the top section and removing or jinning one or both side branches? I am just overly cautious due to lack of expertise,

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I note that one of those branches actually grows from a different place but it is what we see that counts and from the 'front', the side you have showed the tree from, they all appear from the same place so for all intents it is so.

Without seeing the tree in full 3d it is hard to make specific recommendations.
Sometimes just a slight change of viewing angle can make a big difference and I can see that in your photos. Maybe a change of angle will alleviate the visual problem of branches at the same place.

Maybe one of those side branches could be wired up to give a new apex. The rear one is very straight like the current apex and so looks a bit odd but it looks thin enough to wire to give some movement. Maybe that would help and if it does not appear to come from the same spot as the front branch that will also negate the visual problem.

Not all cascades need a living apex. The top could be a jin which can be carved to give movement and taper. I keep looking at the tree without the top and without the rear (left?) top branch. That would leave it with 2 cascading trunks - 1 long, one shorter. I can't fully appreciate the impact of that design without actually seeing the tree though.

Most important thing to remember is that there is never 1 'right' design for any tree. There will always be several possibilities and usually more than 1 will be good. If you cannot decide which is best it just means that all are equally good so it does not matter which option you go with :D
jgmansell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jgmansell »

Once again, sound advice and much appreciated. I see what you mean about the branches all appearing to come from the same place even if they don't. I will definitely have another look, and make a decision on what and where to chop, taking into account all that you have said. Thanks to all who contribute and make Ausbonsai great.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”