Windswept Ezo Spruce. First Styling.

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
MWGH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleucas
Bonsai Club: Northwest, VNBC

Windswept Ezo Spruce. First Styling.

Post by MWGH »

Forgot to take a before picture, but it was pretty much a miniature Christmas tree. Inspired by the scraggly looking trees you see in farmers fields, exposed to the wind and elements.

Five or so hours wiring and bending to get some movement in the trunk and branches. Plan to exaggerate the bend in the trunk some more, but that can wait for another day.

Let me know what you think!
IMG_20180201_182518.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Windswept Ezo Spruce. First Styling.

Post by Boics »

Cool.
I'd like to see a clearer picture though.
I daresay a better pic would help show the work you've done.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
MWGH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MWGH »

Here's a few angles with a neutral backdrop.

Proposed Front
IMG_20180201_201140.jpg
Top View
IMG_20180201_201601.jpg
Right Hand Side
IMG_20180201_201921.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

That is an amazing lot of wiring and bending, including the steel post and guy wires to pull the top over. Nearly more wire than tree now ;)
It certainly has some dynamic movement but I think you may find in time that there's a bit too much foliage on this one. I think a tree from a harsh environment such as would have created this should have less living branches and more space but I would give it a year or so before making changes. Some of those branches may not survive the initial changes so you may have already achieved what I'm suggesting.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MWGH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MWGH »

shibui wrote:That is an amazing lot of wiring and bending, including the steel post and guy wires to pull the top over. Nearly more wire than tree now ;)
It certainly has some dynamic movement but I think you may find in time that there's a bit too much foliage on this one. I think a tree from a harsh environment such as would have created this should have less living branches and more space but I would give it a year or so before making changes. Some of those branches may not survive the initial changes so you may have already achieved what I'm suggesting.
Thanks Shibui. I hear what you're saying. I was considering killing off some of the branches bending from the right of the tree over to the left, as it make sense in my head that those would be the first to die, being in the direct line of wind and all. For now though, for the health of the tree I decided to leave them alive... But like you said, I'll have to wait and see what the tree decides to do. :fc:

Return to “Pines and Junipers”