Japanese Larch

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Patriach_Eddy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine
Bonsai Age: 0

Japanese Larch

Post by Patriach_Eddy »

Hello, Everyone! I’m new in bonsai and i bought this tree from rey nesci nursery on weekend. Just wondering when is the best time to repot this tree and if i can used medium soil mix of pumice. Expandable clay and lava rock?

Thank you and god bless us all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Patriach_Eddy on February 26th, 2018, 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: Japanese Larch

Post by Grant Bowie »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but as you can see the tree is not in great condition and is totally outside its comfort zone climate wise. If you live in greater Sydney it is likely to die within a year or two no matter what you do or just linger on for a while.If you live in Blue Mountains it may stand a chance.
I can grow Japanese Larch in Canberra no problem because of the long, cold winters only but European Larch are stil touchy even here.

Treat as a deciduous tree otherwise, repot before bud break in early spring.

Good luck,

Grant
MountainFrost
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by MountainFrost »

I own one currently, and i'm in Sydney. Im experimenting to see if its possible for it survive in Sydneys climate. :imo: I would recommend leaving it alone and focus on keeping it alive (if you can). It might be better to start of with some trees more suitable for the climate here. Hope it works out for you.
Patriach_Eddy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Patriach_Eddy »

Grant Bowie wrote:Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but as you can see the tree is not in great condition and is totally outside its comfort zone climate wise. If you live in greater Sydney it is likely to die within a year or two no matter what you do or just linger on for a while.If you live in Blue Mountains it may stand a chance.
I can grow Japanese Larch in Canberra no problem because of the long, cold winters only but European Larch are stil touchy even here.

Good luck,

Grant
Grant,

Thank you for the info and sorry for the late response.

Eddy

Patriach_Eddy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Patriach_Eddy »

Grant Bowie wrote:Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but as you can see the tree is not in great condition and is totally outside its comfort zone climate wise. If you live in greater Sydney it is likely to die within a year or two no matter what you do or just linger on for a while.If you live in Blue Mountains it may stand a chance.

Good luck,

Grant

Grant,

When do you repot the larch?

Thanks
Eddy

Patriach_Eddy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Patriach_Eddy »

MountainFrost wrote:I own one currently, and i'm in Sydney. Im experimenting to see if its possible for it survive in Sydneys climate. :imo: I would recommend leaving it alone and focus on keeping it alive (if you can). It might be better to start of with some trees more suitable for the climate here. Hope it works out for you.
Thank you MountainFrost

Eddy

Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

Patriach_Eddy wrote:

Good luck,

Grant

Grant,

When do you repot the larch?

Thanks
Eddy

Been deciduous id repot in the coldest month in winter for sydney. Be interesting to see if it actually drops all its needles. Blue mountains it may survive for years but inner sydney id give it 2-3 years top
Last edited by Matthew on March 4th, 2018, 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”