Evolution of a juniper

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Evolution of a juniper

Post by treeman »

This procumbens was worked by Hirotoshi Saito about 15 or more years ago as a demo. Back then it had many lower branches which have been progressively removed.
I've always believed this tree's destiny was to be a literati type. The lower main branch has been a point of contention for a long time. Now after all these years I finally resolved that it should go.
The rather slender trunk demands that the mass of foliage should be minimal and with literati of course we need to bring down the overall number of branches to a minimum as well, but no so many in one session as to weaken the tree too much.
P1110997.JPG

There it goes...no turning back now! Just removing that one branch makes the tree appear taller.
P1110998 - Copy.JPG

Next to go was a front branch. Peter Adams said it best.... ''Literati needs to have a light, almost floating quality''. Not as easy to achieve as you might think! You need to very carefully consider every element of the tree and decide wether it is truly necessary or not. Once removed you can't put it back. I thought I could do without this branch so it came off as well.
P1110999.JPG

The two newly jinned branches are joined now by the continuation of the shari..
P1120002.JPG

These junipers periodically should have the old needles removed. This tedious job means removal of each needle with tweezers one by one (or 2 or 3 at a time if possible)
P1120003.JPG

There's no doubt that doing this stimulates back-budding - which sooner or later you will need to cut back to..
P1120004.JPG

Unless you intend to use them, shoots coming from a crotch......
P1120005.JPG

Should be removed as well.
P1120006.JPG

The next one to consider was a side branch. (the lowest one on the left side of the tree) To me this needed to be heavily reduced or removed altogether. This would emphasize the direction of the tree as well as lighten it further.
P1120007.JPG

The branch in question covered. Hopefully you agree that it is not needed.
P1120009.JPG

Branch removed. The tree is beginning to get that literati feel to it that I was after....I think
P1120010.JPG

The tree so far.... More work to do....more later
All comments welcomed!
P1120012.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by treeman on April 3rd, 2018, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: Evolution of a juniper

Post by melbrackstone »

Well that was as good a demonstration as I've seen, with plenty of explanations, thanks Mike!

I think your tree is definitely on its way to being an outstanding literati!
pebble
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society

Post by pebble »

treeman wrote: These junipers periodically should have the old needles removed. This tedious job means removal of each needle with tweezers one by one (or 2 or 3 at a time if possible)
P1120003.JPG

There's no doubt that doing this stimulates back-budding - which sooner or later you will need to cut back to..
I never knew that... well i do now :worship: looks like i have a big job todo now on a couple of mine

thanks mike

btw love the new direction of the tree :tu:
Last edited by pebble on April 3rd, 2018, 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
im a total newb
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

I like the way your direction is heading in the last pic,...but for my thoughts the the windward side could be abit leaner and the leeward side looks to comfortable (heavy), I personally think more edge...just thoughts Mike,of course easy sitting here.

cheers Anthony
phpL9XsoHAM.jpg
phpVPcf58AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

anthonyW wrote:I like the way your direction is heading in the last pic,...but for my thoughts the the windward side could be abit leaner and the leeward side looks to comfortable (heavy), I personally think more edge...just thoughts Mike,of course easy sitting here.

cheers Anthony
phpL9XsoHAM.jpg
phpVPcf58AM.jpg
Yep I basically agree with that. I almost cut them off yesterday but did not yet. I covered them with the cloth and I'm still in 2 minds whether I can do something meaningful or not with them.
Mike
The Munt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus Procumbens
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: BSOQ

Post by The Munt »

It’s a gorgeous tree. Thanks for sharing. :cool:
It’s all about the new experience!
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Thanks Mike. An excellent thread. This is helping to inform my thinking re: the Shimpaku that I recently purchased ...food for thought.

Cheers

Mark
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

:yes: :yes:
Reklaw
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Reklaw »

I've never thought much of the literati style. I'm yet to see one that really jumps out at me and invokes that "thing" inside me that grabs my attention! I find they lack the "wow" factor for me :imo: . However, this could be the one to change my opinion! Hopefully you pull it off the way you vision it!

Just on the amount of deadwood though, do you plan on removing any of the jins? I'm only a beginner so do beg my pardon, but i feel there may be too much? I'm drawn more to the jins than the trunk line? Can a tree have too much deadwood? :lost:
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Reklaw wrote:I've never thought much of the literati style. I'm yet to see one that really jumps out at me and invokes that "thing" inside me that grabs my attention! I find they lack the "wow" factor for me :imo: . However, this could be the one to change my opinion! Hopefully you pull it off the way you vision it!

Just on the amount of deadwood though, do you plan on removing any of the jins? I'm only a beginner so do beg my pardon, but i feel there may be too much? I'm drawn more to the jins than the trunk line? Can a tree have too much deadwood? :lost:
Yes I believe you can over-do the deadwood. Some have already been shortened a couple of days ago but I haven't touched it since then. You don't remove deadwood (cut it right off) but leave it long and go back later to make adjustments as you see fit. As for the wow factor, literati usually seeks to avoid it. rather than ''wow'' you want ''aaahhhhh'' :D
Mike
Reklaw
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Reklaw »

treeman wrote:Yes I believe you can over-do the deadwood. Some have already been shortened a couple of days ago but I haven't touched it since then. You don't remove deadwood (cut it right off) but leave it long and go back later to make adjustments as you see fit. As for the wow factor, literati usually seeks to avoid it. rather than ''wow'' you want ''aaahhhhh'' :D
Aaaaaah!! Must be my head tilt is all wrong! :P

Thanks for the dead-wood insight...or is that jinsight!! :lol: I do love a good bit of jin! Im yet to perfect the procedure myself!
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Looks good Mike.
I hope we see this journey end with a pot!
Will really set this lovely tree off me thinks.
I'm feeling round Brown and deepish.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Mike, not related to the tree directly (which I think is headed in the right direction), but as many people interested in junipers will no doubt read this, a little tip I learnt. The foliage of junipers can be pretty prickly and irritating on the hands. If you wear surgical gloves, this avoids this problem. Just thought I would toss that in here for the hell of it. :yes:
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wisteria,EE.
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: VBC, Always Learning via Net, Reading & practice.

Post by SueBee »

I do so enjoy these progression posts by the "old hands' here (and the newbies too of course). Thanks you for sharing. You may have several converts to Literati style now Mike. :worship:
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Andrew Legg wrote:Mike, not related to the tree directly (which I think is headed in the right direction), but as many people interested in junipers will no doubt read this, a little tip I learnt. The foliage of junipers can be pretty prickly and irritating on the hands. If you wear surgical gloves, this avoids this problem. Just thought I would toss that in here for the hell of it. :yes:
Thanks Andrew. My hands are close to rhinoceros hide so I don't bother so much about the needles. Another tip is to spray with water before you work. This softens the very tip of the needle but you have to put up with working wet.
Mike

Return to “Pines and Junipers”