Cedrus Deodora I believe

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.

Re: Cedrus Deodora I believe

Postby boom64 » February 8th, 2019, 9:59 pm

Hi Mark ,
I am no expert on these but will outline the system I have been using for the last couple of years. I would cut back to figure one now and once new growth kicks in I would wait for the new shoot to grow to about two cm .Then pull out the growing tip with your finger and thumb , repeat this process every time new growth gets to two cm. Have been using this system for several years and am slowly getting some ramification happening. Hope this helps. Cheers John .
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Postby Grant Bowie » February 9th, 2019, 5:55 am

wiggs wrote:Can anyone advise the best time of the year to repot these in Sydney?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Early spring just before or at bud burst. It is one of the few truly touchy species when it comes to repot timing in Sydney.

However being an established bonsai you should have no problems have a lot more leeway than the first time it is potted.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Most
Bonsai Age: 47
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Postby MJL » February 9th, 2019, 9:43 am

Cheers for the advice John (clipping) and Grant (repotting timing), appreciated.

On a separate issue - bl@@dy frustrating that I spelt the title wrong - a nice reminder of my own dumb@rse-ness every time I revisit this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Maples, Elms & Shimpaku Juniper
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Postby one_bonsai » February 9th, 2019, 11:14 am

boom64 wrote:I would wait for the new shoot to grow to about two cm .Then pull out the growing tip with your finger and thumb , repeat this process every time new growth gets to two cm .

I don't get how this builds ramification if you keep on removing new growth.
one_bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Bonsai Age:

Postby GavinG » February 9th, 2019, 4:50 pm

I'm no expert on cedars, but if you want the trunk to thicken a bit, you would leave the growth alone until spring, then cut back quite hard, repeat this for a few years. Grow long, cut back hard once a year. Makes a better tree in the long run, I think. It has graceful bones, but a bit more body would make it more convincing, for me.

Please keep posting as you go,

Gavin
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age:
Bonsai Club: CBS

Postby shibui » February 9th, 2019, 7:27 pm

I would wait for the new shoot to grow to about two cm .Then pull out the growing tip with your finger and thumb , repeat this process every time new growth gets to two cm .

I don't get how this builds ramification if you keep on removing new growth.

Maybe some confusion over what is meant? Taking the tip out does not always mean removing all new growth. Maybe just cut new section in half? Even if you do remove all the new growth it will usually build ramification. Most trees prefer to grow one long shoot from any point. When the tip is removed (or when the entire shoot is removed) dormant buds are activated along the remaining branch, often 2 or more so where there was only a single shoot, pinching the tip will force several to grow. Repeated pinching and pruning can double the number every time so more pinching = more ramification.

Here are some new photos - knowing that I have purchased a less than ideal weeping variety, I do want to keep control of growth.
Can I cut back again soon or wait for April? And I have included two photos of where I think I should cut back too. Any thoughts?

My deodars seem to grow constantly through summer. Every time shoots lengthen I pinch the tips. It is a constant job doing just a few every few days right through the growing season. :imo: when pinching, shorter is usually better so the first spot you've marked would be my preference. I don't normally let the shoots get this long. I let them grow to 1-3cm long before removing maybe 1/2 the new growth.
I agree with Gavin about needing a bit more substantial trunk. Unfortunately this genus seem to thicken very slowly and you can't really let them grow freely because they don't bud on older wood so always need to keep healthy shoots in or below the areas where you want the final tree.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 33
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Postby MJL » February 9th, 2019, 7:54 pm

Thanks everyone, love the advice and assistance. Much appreciated and I will take heed. Regarding trunk thickening - I agree it could be better and I understand the slow to thicken/lack of back-budding conundrum. Interestingly, by reducing the height about 6 inches a so far (from when I first purchased it); the trunk ‘looks’ thicker - relatively speaking.)

Onwards I plough....cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Maples, Elms & Shimpaku Juniper
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Postby one_bonsai » February 10th, 2019, 2:08 pm

shibui wrote:Maybe some confusion over what is meant? Taking the tip out does not always mean removing all new growth. Maybe just cut new section in half? Even if you do remove all the new growth it will usually build ramification. Most trees prefer to grow one long shoot from any point. When the tip is removed (or when the entire shoot is removed) dormant buds are activated along the remaining branch, often 2 or more so where there was only a single shoot, pinching the tip will force several to grow. Repeated pinching and pruning can double the number every time so more pinching = more ramification.

I see. Thanks for the clarification.
Last edited by one_bonsai on February 10th, 2019, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
one_bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Bonsai Age:

Previous

Return to Pines and Junipers