Cedrus Newbie

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Atlantics Glauca
Bonsai Age: 1

Cedrus Newbie

Post by Mitch_28 »

Hey there Bonsai Brainstrust! Loving learning from this forum and thought it was time to jump in...

Little intro~

I'm Mitch from Wollongong, had a couple of bonsai years ago but they died while on holidays under the care of someone else... So I've picked it back up again and now I've just taken ownership of this Cedrus Atlantica which is around 9 years old I was told. I have a couple of ideas but looking for opinions on some potential directions and styles as I don't have a heap of experience and I know it's part of learning but really wish to keep dead trees to a minimum. Currently 2.5 stubbies tall, plenty of different branch possibilities starting from 100mm up, and slight curve in the trunk. I understand they are very slow growing and a little unforgiving.
Have a maple and a ficus too that I'll chuck in another post later on. Cheers
Hit me with it! TIA
Mitch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Cedrus Newbie

Post by Watto »

Hi Mitch and welcome to this forum.
You have picked one of the more difficult species to style and grow but as long as you conduct activities at the most appropriate time of the year you will be fine. Following is what I know (or methods I use) for this species:-
1 - these do like a cold winter
2 - your tree looks quite healthy but now is a good time fertilize up to bud swell which is usually September where I come from but you will need to keep an eye out
3 - I either trim or re-pot in a year, but not both activities (they need a rest bwtween interventions)
4- there don't shoot back on old wood so always leave some green shoots on the branch when trimming
5 - three year old needles drop off so don't be concerned about that
6 - when wiring use copper if you can and leave it on as long as possible (all Cedars have a reputation for "springing back" when wire is taken off) but if the wiring is done correctly and left on long enough then they are fine

Good luck and enjoy the Ausbonsai banter.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Atlantics Glauca
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mitch_28 »

Hey Watto, thanks for your advice. I know they are a tough one but I have seen some good ones and really like them as a bonsai. Just hope I do it justice.
Not sure our winters are really that cold but I guess time will tell. With the fertiliser would you recommend a slow release type or more organic like blood and bone or dynamic lifter and the like?
I lifted it out of the pot to check the root system when I bought it and it is looking fine so probably won't need a repot this coming season. Could probably do with some wire and trimming though! Had seen some YouTube videos of a guy who wraps this type of tree in jute twine and wire and compresses it in size which I like the idea of, but literati or slanting style may be the way to go with this specimen. See how I go.
Thanks again, Mitch

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

If you have a look at my blog Mitch you will see what I did with cedar over a few years. Its a recent post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Pines and Junipers”