procumbens

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

procumbens

Post by treeman »

All dressed up and ready for a show. I think this was my first ever bonsai?
P1120262.JPG
P1120278.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: procumbens

Post by KIRKY »

Very nice Mike. How old is it?
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

KIRKY wrote:Very nice Mike. How old is it?
Cheers
Kirky
Probably getting close to 40 now. In training about 30.
Mike
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by benbonsai »

Nice one.
The trunk shows its age.
Slow and steady wins the race
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

i really like the contrasting textures in the second shot, with the fine rock and mosses. Last year before our exhibition we were lectured on presentation for exhibition, and were told that the trees should not have any rock or stone, but should be fines sifted from potting mix. The judge would mark it down otherwise. That was personally very disappointing, and when I see your presentation here doubly so, because it looks so natural and yet neat.

Fine tree, as well! :)
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

What a lovely tree. Thanks for posting.

As an aside and to give you some insight into my strange mind ... the shari in the first picture looks like a platypus or a lizard resting on the trunk. I realise that's not the intent - it's just the picture that comes to mind. Looks great.

I hope to have similar specimens in 40 years and at 90 .... I hope my daughters care enough to help. :fc:
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Are they exposed roots or carvedbase of the trunk?

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

melbrackstone wrote:i really like the contrasting textures in the second shot, with the fine rock and mosses. Last year before our exhibition we were lectured on presentation for exhibition, and were told that the trees should not have any rock or stone, but should be fines sifted from potting mix. The judge would mark it down otherwise. That was personally very disappointing, and when I see your presentation here doubly so, because it looks so natural and yet neat.
I'm aware of that issue but firstly I believe that this material is fine enough to pass as an appropriate surface. Secondly, because the grains interlock so well it makes watering so much easier and more effective. It also holds moisture well which will encourage the growth of moss, especially as I've mixed it with a little peat moss. And thirdly as long as I'm happy with the way it looks, I don't really care about conforming to what any ''judge'' might think. Nor am I interested in scoring points.
The particles are about 2mm or less. They don't really appear as stones from the average viewing distance which is about like this...
P1120288.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

kcpoole wrote:Are they exposed roots or carvedbase of the trunk?

Ken
Exposed roots with a bit of shari.
Mike
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

The dead wood on this is awesome, looks a bit like a lizard of some kind gripping the trunk ... very cool.
I know age is not the be all and end all in bonsai, but it sure helps to give the sense of "authenticity" that this tree has.
Beautiful.
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines junipers and others
Bonsai Age: 40

Post by rodm »

Marvellous tree. It lets the imagination run away; looks like a dragon hiding or having a sleep in the tree. Well done :cool: Cheers RodM
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

I'm aware of that issue but firstly I believe that this material is fine enough to pass as an appropriate surface. Secondly, because the grains interlock so well it makes watering so much easier and more effective. It also holds moisture well which will encourage the growth of moss, especially as I've mixed it with a little peat moss. And thirdly as long as I'm happy with the way it looks, I don't really care about conforming to what any ''judge'' might think. Nor am I interested in scoring points.
The particles are about 2mm or less. They don't really appear as stones from the average viewing distance which is about like this...
I appreciate the fact that the grains work so well as a mulch, and make watering easier. I was hoping the sieved potting mix thing was just a local requirement... bugger.

I'll not have anything worth exhibiting for a decade or so, however the points this person made stuck in my head, and I'm still sure that your presentation would be my preference to any of the trees I've seen with the sifted fines... I often use tiny grained zeolite to hold down the ground up sphagnum I use as a surface mulch....and that was when I was told it was "unacceptable." /sigh

Thanks for your input, as always, much appreciated.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

melbrackstone wrote:
I was hoping the sieved potting mix thing was just a local requirement... bugger.

I'll not have anything worth exhibiting for a decade or so, however the points this person made stuck in my head, and I'm still sure that your presentation would be my preference to any of the trees I've seen with the sifted fines... I often use tiny grained zeolite to hold down the ground up sphagnum I use as a surface mulch....and that was when I was told it was "unacceptable." /sigh
Can I clarify. Do you mean sieved bonsai soil or organic based potting mix?

Looking through photographs on this site from a number of different societies, there doesn't seem to be a consensus on what is used on the surface. I am also not in the exhibiting category yet, however, just as the stand and accent contribute to the setting, I would think the pot surface should as well. I don't see too many natives in mossy green hillsides in this state.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Terry this person who was giving the talk just said use some potting mix and sift it to get the fine stuff, and use that. I am sure you can use whatever mix you like, as long as it's a fairly even, bland, darkish tone...

The whole reason they were giving the talk was to prepare us all for what the judges might be looking for, and using a plant I'd taken along as an example, they said my mulch wasn't acceptable. (Being a newbie I hadn't even considered any part of my tree/pot/presentation would be acceptable, to be honest.) However, that was why it stuck in my head, and I wondered if Mike had anything to say on the subject.
Last edited by melbrackstone on June 7th, 2018, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

terryb wrote:
melbrackstone wrote:
I was hoping the sieved potting mix thing was just a local requirement... bugger.

Can I clarify. Do you mean sieved bonsai soil or organic based potting mix?

Looking through photographs on this site from a number of different societies, there doesn't seem to be a consensus on what is used on the surface. I am also not in the exhibiting category yet, however, just as the stand and accent contribute to the setting, I would think the pot surface should as well. I don't see too many natives in mossy green hillsides in this state.
Hi Terry
I agree (if that's what you're saying) that we don't need to be slaves to the Japanese aesthetic. I think the frowning given to the use of stones is that it can make the surface look unsettled/disturbed = unnatural. This may be the case, so the finer the material the easier it is to present the settled, ''untouched'' look. But I think that as long as we can arrange the soil surface to appear natural, we should not need to rigidly adhere to the ''essential'' moss covering. It just so happens that it takes some time for moss to naturally cover a natural surface so by applying to the potted tree it we can give that impression. However there is nothing to say that we cannot get an attractive and acceptable appearance by trying to copy the natural screes or plain compacted and moss-less ground we can find in the Australian bush. Especially when we exhibit wild wind blown Australia trees! Simply laying stones on the surface is not very appealing though and should be avoided IMO. (I think dead leaves might be going too far too :shifty: ) There's nothing wrong with using a fine dark soil for the covering either. I've seen many Japanese bonsai displayed that way but it must look very settled (by compressing it) to look right. That also means taking it off again when you bring your tree back home. :palm:
I may do a bit more work on the surface before I take them in??
Mike

Return to “Pines and Junipers”