THE PINE PROJECT

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: THE PINE PROJECT

Post by shibui »

Yours seem to be quite a way ahead of mine. I did not sow until September I think. I pricked some out into individual pots a couple of weeks ago. Others are still growing in the seed flat. I've been meaning to post some pics or join the comp over at Bonsai nut but have not found the enthusiasm or time.

Somewhere around 100mm tall is when I take the tops out of most of my seedlings so force low buds on the stem. The bits I cut off strike quite well as cuttings because they are still juvenile growth but I guess you hardly need more pines ;)
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

shibui wrote: Somewhere around 100mm tall is when I take the tops out of most of my seedlings so force low buds on the stem. The bits I cut off strike quite well as cuttings because they are still juvenile growth but I guess you hardly need more pines ;)
Your thread on this is bookmarked shibui... I’m biding my time! I think a bit longer yet.
You should join the comp, would love to see a post either here or BNut if you can find the time. It’s nice to have a couple of entries from home soil in the mix! :yes:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

You should join the comp, would love to see a post either here or BNut if you can find the time. It’s nice to have a couple of entries from home soil in the mix!
Funny that....
Just posted my entry over there. Just wait to see if I have enough enthusiasm to keep posting for 5 more years :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

shibui wrote: Funny that....
Just posted my entry over there. Just wait to see if I have enough enthusiasm to keep posting for 5 more years :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
:yes: :yes: :yes:
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

Great thread :tu: Love those roots on the JBP, awesome :clap:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

no idea wrote:Great thread :tu: Love those roots on the JBP, awesome :clap:
Thanks mate, glad you’re enjoying it. I’m pretty happy with the progress so far. :yes:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

The seedlings that were planted in October have now had their respective root work done and are in their own pots in my bonsai mix just like all the others. I did roughly half of the remaining JBP as stem cuttings and the rest were all just a standard root prune. I have 17 seedling trays packed with 100mm pots, over 250 pine trees (some are planted in groups/pairs) so I'm really pleasantly surprised by the lack of carnage that I had envisaged. This is the end of this phase I think - hopefully the posts become a little more interesting now as time goes on ... sorry for the monotony but I wanted to document what I did and when for future reference.
:beer:

All the little pines ...
IMG_3626.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Ryceman3 wrote:over 250 pine trees
Hey Ryceman,
Great job on the pines and also on this excellent thread.
Interesting how many items can be repurposed as Bonsai benches ;)
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

All guests are welcome to sit on the floor :hooray:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

terryb wrote: Interesting how many items can be repurposed as Bonsai benches ;)
Yeah! It's all about necessity sometimes. Might even have a pine tree I can use for Xmas next year ... :P
Seasons Greetings!
no idea wrote:All guests are welcome to sit on the floor :hooray:
Correct ... seats are reserved for pine trees only. It's a "priorities" thing.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

An update on my pines ...

A group shot of all the seedlings hanging out together
Pine Group_0219-01.JPG
A close up of a JBP - trimmed roots (not stem cut). There are quite a few this size, these kind are probably the biggest of them all. I'm getting a bit of branching occurring on many of them even though I haven't done any chopping of the top etc. yet so I am happy about that.
JBP[RC]_0219-01.JPG
And as a comparison ... the stem cut version. This one is one of the biggest of these, others are 1-2cm shorter in height ... but again, I am noticing a bit of branching occurring low on many of them which is encouraging.
JBP[SC]_0219-01.JPG
... and then one that was stem cut in December (the top two were worked on in October), new growth has started but it has a bit to do to catch up ... healthy enough though and growing fine.
JBP[SC]_0219-02.JPG
Then there's a Japanese Red Pine, I don't have as many of these but the ones I do have are doing quite well - this one is about average as a guide.
JRP[RC]_0219-01.JPG
Below is a Scots Pine - not particularly large, but my favourite one for reasons I can't really explain ... maybe I spend too much time looking at baby pines... :shock:
This one had root work done in October last year.
SCP[RC]_0219_01.JPG
Then something a bit more interesting ... I stem cut a few Scots Pines in Nov last year - I would consider that late given they were germinated in July/Aug. They haven't died but up until maybe the last 3 weeks they did bugger all, however now you can see new needles have formed and there are tiny buds setting in the centre so I feel like they are going to turn out OK - probably wouldn't go down that path again. Stem cutting is something I'm not sure is undertaken on Scots Pine much ... maybe this is the reason, I think I did some a bit earler than the one shown below - I need to check and then compare them ... in any case - here is a MINI Scots Pine :
SCP[SC]_0219-01.JPG
And this groups had root work done at the same time as the pine directly above ... as you can see the conventional root work didn't set them back like the stem cutting technique.
SCP_0219-01.JPG
And last but not least - an Austrian Pine. This one is about average size. I thought these might've really gone crazy as they were quick to develop from seeds, but they have coasted along with a consistent development rate ... I feel like they're building up to something ... :shifty:
PNP[RC]_0219-01.JPG
There you have it, in terms of development I am very happy - all the effort was worth the trouble. I am very surprised at my lack of casualties over the summer season, I really thought I would lose quite a few but honestly I think I have had to pull 10 out ... that's it. All this means that I have around 250 pine seedlings, and realistically probably room to continue to develop maybe 40 or so maximum in the medium to long term, and I have another project in the wings I am getting ready to start ... just no real room to start it. I think I am coming to the realisation it may be time for a clearance sale sometime soon ... :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Great to see how well they are coming along across all the different varieties and the comparison between them!

You'll have some great stock to work with over the next few years if they keep tracking along well
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Have to agree, they seem to be flourishing under your care :cool:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Thanks TimS and terryb,
To be honest, they are quite good at fending for themselves in general once roots are established. I keep the water levels right and fertilise as often as I am able to and remember - the rest is really up to the trees. I expect them to really get moving over the next 12 months or so ... looking forward to wiring up a few little trunks and maybe experimenting with some ROR and neagari versions as a bit of fun ... we'll see how it plays out.
:beer:
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

Great work there R3

Anthony

Return to “Pines and Junipers”