THE PINE PROJECT

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 9

Re: THE PINE PROJECT

Post by Ryceman3 »

SuperBonSaiyan wrote: December 12th, 2022, 2:39 pm Would you mind sharing what R/C means?

Also - what do you use as the bottom screen for your shallow pots? I'm using fibreglass flyscreen mesh at the moment but I don't like how it doesn't form easily without folding. I've also tried shadecloth as well but I don't like the little bits of plastic that come about from the frayed edges.

Open to suggestions on what others use.
R/C is my shorthand for “roots cut”. It refers to a more traditional method as opposed to S/C which means stem cut.

In terms of bottom screen, I use whatever. A lot of flyscreen recently as this is easy to get and I don’t have too many issues getting it to fit without folding. If you cut a circle about 1-2cms bigger than the base and then cut into the circle towards the centre with small cuts around the outer rim, when you push the screen in, the outer edge will fold up and make a wall. Hope that makes sense.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

SuperBonSaiyan wrote: December 12th, 2022, 2:39 pm Also - what do you use as the bottom screen for your shallow pots? I'm using fibreglass flyscreen mesh at the moment but I don't like how it doesn't form easily without folding. I've also tried shadecloth as well but I don't like the little bits of plastic that come about from the frayed edges.

Open to suggestions on what others use.
For the large holed orchid pots, a use a strip of coir cut from a roll. This is the stuff that is used to line hanging baskets. I then will use some larger pumice / scoria /bark to cover the holes at the base.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

A couple more from the original ground grown batch. I haven't bothered with before shots as I think you get the idea from the previous post.
Next post will most likely relate to the trees I pulled out of the ground in July. They have all done nicely and are in need of a bit of work soon.
:beer:
JBP-6YC IG_05.jpg
JBP-6YC IG_06.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Managed to get to one of the pines I pulled out of the ground last July and pruned/decandled in places/thinned needles whilst looking for a guide as to how I will progress this tree from here. I have somewhat settled on a semi cascade as I think the base lends itself to that well, and I don't really have a semi cascade pine so that will make it a bit different for me, but we'll see if it ends up that way.
JBP-6YC 5 IG_04.jpg
JBP-6YC 5 IG_03.jpg
JBP-6YC 5 IG_01.jpg
JBP-6YC 5 IG_02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

I don't know whether that's an impressive amount of growth for 4 years or normal. It's impressive to me but I haven't tried ground growing yet.

I'm also very impressed with the nebari for growing in the ground without a tile underneath. Did you dig and root prune often or was this all due to the initial root cutting you did?

Thank you for documenting it all, I clicked through the pages last night and it was wonderful to witness the journey.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

SuperBonSaiyan wrote: December 20th, 2022, 6:21 am I don't know whether that's an impressive amount of growth for 4 years or normal. It's impressive to me but I haven't tried ground growing yet.

I'm also very impressed with the nebari for growing in the ground without a tile underneath. Did you dig and root prune often or was this all due to the initial root cutting you did?

Thank you for documenting it all, I clicked through the pages last night and it was wonderful to witness the journey.
It’s a decent amount of growth.
The work done on the trees in terms of digging and root pruning is pretty much as per what is in this thread… nothing additional not documented, plus the ground growing beds were off limits during lockdowns/CoVid so I guess that helps substantiate that. There are plenty of progression threads out there to gauge growth.
Tiles seem to be useful for some, so I don’t discount that technique, just never done it. There are many ways to skin a cat.
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

You've inspired me to start my own project. I didn't start form seed but instead bought seedlings. I really want to play with them now (root prune, plant in ground, twist them up, etc.) but I'll wait for the right time to do these things.

I'm planning to plant some of in a raised garden bed, some in orchid pots, and some in colanders (I'm curious about the stacked colander technique).
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

A couple more of the ones that were ground grown and pulled up in July this year.
Good progress and none of them skipped a beat after being uprooted and stuffed into a little plastic container. Happy with these.
JBP-6YC 6 IG_01.jpg
JBP-6YC 7 IG_01.jpg
BirchMan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop WA

Post by BirchMan »

SuperBonSaiyan wrote: December 20th, 2022, 6:21 am I don't know whether that's an impressive amount of growth for 4 years or normal. It's impressive to me but I haven't tried ground growing yet.

I feel like R3's progress is above average and excluding niche hydroponic results probably about as quick as it gets. We can see the diligence he's used throughout this thread and it should be a lesson for anyone wanting to do this properly. I've seen JBP stock grown for 10 years not as well developed as this.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

Ryceman3 wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 2:45 pm A couple more of the ones that were ground grown and pulled up in July this year.
Good progress and none of them skipped a beat after being uprooted and stuffed into a little plastic container. Happy with these.
JBP-6YC 6 IG_01.jpg
JBP-6YC 7 IG_01.jpg
The second guy is impressive.

Was this “prepped” for sumo or did the cards just fall this way with nature?
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Daluke wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 6:46 pm
Ryceman3 wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 2:45 pm A couple more of the ones that were ground grown and pulled up in July this year.
JBP-6YC 6 IG_01.jpg
JBP-6YC 7 IG_01.jpg

100% prepped for bonsai… and the cards I guess fall where they may… 😉
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

[/quote]

I feel like R3's progress is above average and excluding niche hydroponic results probably about as quick as it gets. We can see the diligence he's used throughout this thread and it should be a lesson for anyone wanting to do this properly. I've seen JBP stock grown for 10 years not as well developed as this.
[/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I also feel like progression is pretty good but far from me to assess that…. All I know is a good time was had by all… stumps don’t stay stumps forever!’
?! 😜😉👍🏼
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 99

Post by TimS »

BirchMan wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 3:24 pm

100% agree! I've seen a few different people developing pines now, and if you are talking about long term planned growth for excellence than you just cannot beat how R3 is going about it, and the benefits for us is it's all documented with detail and photos.

Your Instagram judt popped up on my feed the other day so I followed you too R3 :tu:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Roughly 2 months since I "stem cut" the seedlings I grew from the seeds I collected this year (original post at the bottom of page 18), here is what we have.
JBP-SC IG_01.jpg
JBP-SC IG_02.jpg
JBP-SC IG_03.jpg
Daluke wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 6:46 pm
JBP-6YC 6 IG_01.jpg
JBP-6YC 7 IG_01.jpg

Just as a side note to this question ... I re-checked the pot of this tree you mentioned Daluke and it tells me it was originally stem cut (similar technique to this seedling). Not a definitive way to make sumo but if all goes well you have a FAR better chance of achieving that using this technique to get great root growth from the same level and shoots developing very low on the trunk. Traditional root techniques aren't as conducive to the same result as far as I have found. This example has 8 roots coming radially from the cut site and shoots on both sides about 1cm up the trunk. Good enough for me. By the way, there are others out there I have found who would now perform a second stem cut ... the goal to get even more roots and shoots down low... I am not so brave given how precious the seeds are. I'll just take what I have!
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

TimS wrote: December 24th, 2022, 10:43 am 100% agree! I've seen a few different people developing pines now, and if you are talking about long term planned growth for excellence than you just cannot beat how R3 is going about it, and the benefits for us is it's all documented with detail and photos.

Your Instagram judt popped up on my feed the other day so I followed you too R3 :tu:
Thanks for the kind words mate, and the IG follow ... most of my posts there are duplicated here, but I do put up some reels and videos which help to show the trees in 3D a bit better from differetn perspectives/angles (not possible here unfortunately) ... so hopefully you get something out of it.
:beer: :yes:

Return to “Pines and Junipers”