THE PINE PROJECT

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: THE PINE PROJECT

Post by Ryceman3 »

melbrackstone wrote:That's nearly 200 seedlings.. !!!
Actually, if you count the floaters I planted that subsequently germinated it takes it just over 200 ;)
I have no official advice on this, but I’m pretty sure I have the biggest private pine plantation within half a km of Melbourne CBD... I’m also pretty sure I’m the only person who cares!
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

lol. I'm looking forward to the next session of potting up....and where you're going to store your pine plantation!!!!!!
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

melbrackstone wrote:lol. I'm looking forward to the next session of potting up....and where you're going to store your pine plantation!!!!!!
Yep, I hear ya... so does my wife! Another thing my grandma said :
“Necessity is the mother of invention”
In response to that I would say : “Necessity may be the mother but in this case clearly Stupidity was the father!” Aaahh, and so we move on.
:beer:
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Whoa, nice work. My JBP have been out of the fridge for about 10 days. No sign of life yet. It is starting to warm up though, so if you are right ... :fc:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

terryb wrote:Whoa, nice work. My JBP have been out of the fridge for about 10 days. No sign of life yet. It is starting to warm up though, so if you are right ... :fc:
Cool, will be interested in how long they take to germinate and success percentage. I think from memory, my first lot of JBP were soaked, stratified for 2 weeks and then I had visual signs of germination after 3 weeks, I feel like it might be a better proposition this time of year so I like your odds. Let us know what happens!
:yes:
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

I’m not a betting man but surely there’s a bet to be won here. ‘Where is the biggest pine plantation within 500 meters of the Melbourne CBD?’ Hilarious.

On a serious note - while I live about 15 km out - if you need a hand when you do pot up - reach out via PM. Happy to help if needed.

Cheers again for an interesting and fun thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Great work on your germination success. I might have to start a maple version of this, I've grown the best part of 400 Japanese Maples from seed this year :palm:
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

MJL wrote: On a serious note - while I live about 15 km out - if you need a hand when you do pot up - reach out via PM. Happy to help if needed.
Thanks for the offer MJL, I need to get to a stage where repotting is required first! If I get bogged down I’ll let you know... :yes:
TimS wrote:Great work on your germination success. I might have to start a maple version of this, I've grown the best part of 400 Japanese Maples from seed this year :palm:
Definitely start a thread TimS, I gotta see this! 400 JM seedlings... you’re making me look sane! :hooray: :tu2:
Tambrand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tamarind
Bonsai Age: 37
Bonsai Club: Lives in the West Indies

Post by Tambrand »

Ryceman3,

I am dying to see the variations in the J.b.pines.
As you have seen with Anthony's, he is looking for the ones with
fast fattening trunks.

We already had 5 or so set aside for growing and propagation.
Trunks that fatten with the 90 cm extensions giving 2.5 cm to
the trunk.

Even with the 10 he will choose next year around April or so,
he has to think about the space for full sun and porous earthenware
clay pots close to 40 cm in diameter.
I can see having to weld, yet another metal stand --------- ha ha.
Laters.
Tambrand
"We grow our Bonsai for Beauty, not for produce or lumber."
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Hi Tambrand,
I too look forward to what developments start to occur in this JBP comp. I think once we get past this propagation phase, the techniques people use (seedling cutting/colanders/clay pots/ground growing/fert regimes etc) will start to differ and then added with environment variations (sun/wind/rain/humidity etc), this will be a very interesting thing to be involved in. I’m going to need to think about how I plan this out... I don’t think dumb luck and big volumes of pines alone are going to make a very successful entry. Eventually I see myself focussing my efforts on a few trees I see with potential, the beauty for me in Oz is that I sit a couple of months behind the northern hemisphere contenders so I get to learn a bit from their experiences!!
;) :beer:
PS: Hopefully Florence stays to the North of you and behaves herself!
Last edited by Ryceman3 on September 10th, 2018, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grainer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by Grainer »

Ryceman3 wrote:Just an update on these seeds of mine. I've had some success with all of the 4 types of pines I planted, so I'm pretty happy with how things are going.
IMG_2971.jpg
IMG_2972.jpg
I had a bit of spare time this morning so I decided to count up the seedlings I have succesfully propagated.
Here's what I got :
Japanese Black Pine : 51seedlings from 184 seeds (approx 27.5% success rate)
Japanese Red Pine : 9 seedlings from 48 seeds (approx 19% success rate)
Austrian Pine : 64 seedlings from 79 seeds (approx 81% success rate)
Scots Pine : 71 seedlings from 71 seeds (100% success rate! :yes: )
I am kind of thinking these rates still have potential to improve as the weather starts to warm up here. My thoughts are that maybe the reason the JBP and JRP rates aren't higher is they are naturally from warmer climates than the Austrian and Scots and therefore require warmer weather to kick start germination ... maybe? Thoughts? I have one batch each of JBP and JRP that haven't yet sprouted anything (32 seeds in each batch), but I'll be patient and see what pops up. I will most likely prepare a few more JBP seeds and see if they come up a bit quicker than these early batches, this might help to answer my question. As for the Austrian Pines, they too would have been closer to 100% but for a small batch of 12 that just produced 1 seedling. In terms of germination time I noticed that Austrians were generally the quickest to come up, followed by Scots, then JRP and finally JBP ... which I think also supports my theory about colder climate pines.
The covers are now off all these trays, the weather is warming up and I don't want to cook them, and as my grandma would say - the fresh air will do them good.
Where did you get your Scotts pine seeds from? I have been looking without success. I plant about approx 450 JBP seeds recently.. so a bit behind you.. Yes to see the full germination rates. The seed was hard to get! Still looking for some Scotts! My next biggest challenge is getting pots/collanders etc for them all!!
Last edited by Grainer on September 29th, 2018, 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Freestylebonsai.com - Release the spirit of the tree
Ethical Yamadori Bonsai Australia
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1634059 ... ?ref=br_tf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dangelo
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Dangelo »

Great project with great information
Learn the truth about SizeGenetics before
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Grainer wrote:Where did you get your Scotts pine seeds from?
Hi Grainer, I picked up the seeds from a friend of a relative who was 100% sure they were Scots but had 0% interest in propagating them. She was pretty uncertain of their viability, which is why I planted them all - turns out they were viable!
I haven’t seen the seedlings for about 3 weeks as I’m currently OS so I pray that my watering system and the weather is being kind to all my pine youngsters, and I can get back on track next week when I return to reality. Looking forward to hearing how those JBP of yours go, please keep me posted, we’ll done sourcing some - it’s hard work! Not sure if in the end you’ll be far behind, I basically planted so early because I knew this trip was coming and I wanted them as advanced as possible before I left. We’ll see what I have to play with when I return.
PS: Have you entered the Bonsainut comp.?? If not, get on board... it’s gonna be a fun ride! :yes:
Dangelo wrote:Great project with great information
Glad you are enjoying Dangelo, I’ll continue to post as things develop.
Last edited by Ryceman3 on September 30th, 2018, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grainer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by Grainer »

I will be but this year is my first real go at Black pine.. so who knows what will happen LOL.. I have quite a few photos of the process so far, but yet to post on the thread. Let me know if you are willing to let go of any of the Scotts!

Cheers
Last edited by Grainer on September 30th, 2018, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freestylebonsai.com - Release the spirit of the tree
Ethical Yamadori Bonsai Australia
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1634059 ... ?ref=br_tf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Brief Update :
I returned from holidays to find everything on track ... no casualties among the little seedlings, and in fact a few more had popped to add to the population. :cool:
I was relieved the watering system held up, I had as much faith as I could but when you're not there - it's out of your hands!

Anyway, that left me with a dilemma as I had JBP & JRP seeds on hold as a contingency plan just in case things were ugly when I got back... what to do with them? So, since they were there I soaked them over the weekend and decided to plant them out in any case today (no stratification). My main motivation is to see if I have better germination success now the weather has warmed up a little compared with my initial batches. I had really good ratios from Scots and Austrian pines - but not as good from JBP and JRP. We'll see what happens with these ones. I also did a few Korean Hornbeam and Cryptomeria seeds I had that had been stratified for a couple of months and were ready to go.
IMG_3411.jpg
As for my seedlings, they are earmarked for some work in the not too distant future so I expect to update their progress within the next week or so.

And on another note, one of my more advanced JBP has 3 mini cones appearing on the sacrifice branch ... with 18months to wait before they produce seed would (should) I try and hold off it's removal and let them mature???
IMG_3412.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”