THE PINE PROJECT

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.

Re: THE PINE PROJECT

Postby Boics » February 15th, 2019, 11:12 am

They are all so cute!
Well done and thanks for the great documentation..
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Postby Ryceman3 » May 14th, 2019, 4:51 pm

As we head into Winter, it's probably time I put in an update on these pine seedlings.
Things are looking good for most, my pine plantation has been reduced in size somewhat as quite a few seedlings have found new homes ... mostly with people from this forum so good luck with them to all who picked up a few! :yes:
I still have more than enough for me to play with, and although all the JBP, JRP and Scots I put aside have been sold, I still have about 20 or so Austrian Pines looking for new digs if anybody is interested ... ;)
Here's a link to the appropriate thread :
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=26811

Anyhow ... back to the pines.
I haven't done much with them over the last few months, aside from water/fert and try and maximise the amount of sun they get. Some of the JBP I have wired to try and get a bit of movement down low that way, while others I have left as they were.
IMG_4078.jpg

IMG_4080.jpg

The Scots pine are a bit less developed than the JBP but are still nice and healthy nonetheless. They have plenty of buds down the trunks just waiting for Spring, I'll be keen to see how they take off later in the year - I feel like they are ready to explode.
IMG_4104.jpg

IMG_4102.jpg

I'll have to take a few progression pics of the Red Pines and the Austrians soon to complete this post, but they too are looking good and I think will get moving when Spring hits.

I plan to do a bit of root work on some/most of these pines just before the warm weather comes around and get them into slightly larger pots to give them a bit of room to expand next growing season. I'm pretty happy with how these all turned out, I feel like I really achieved something! :tu:
:beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"NO CUTS, NO GLORY"
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Right now ... pines
Bonsai Age: 4

Postby boom64 » May 14th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Well done Ryceman ,looking good. Amazing how much joy you get from watching a seed do its thing. Cheers John.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Postby MJL » May 14th, 2019, 9:01 pm

Yep - your seedlings have found a happy home here R3. No experimenting for me on these precious units - just water, fert and what sun I can find. Same goes for a range that found their way to my step-dad’s too.

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Maples, Elms & Shimpaku Juniper
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Postby Ryceman3 » May 15th, 2019, 11:02 am

boom64 wrote:Amazing how much joy you get from watching a seed do its thing. Cheers John.

Couldn't agree more John ... I like this propogation thing! :beer:
MJL wrote:Yep - your seedlings have found a happy home here R3.

Excellent! Catch you on the weekend MJL. :yes:

And, just for completion of my above post - here's some progression shots of my other pine seedlings as they stand today.
IMG_4110.jpg

IMG_4111.jpg

IMG_4112.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

I still have around 60-70 pine seedlings left in total ... roughly half are black pine and then even numbers spread between Red, Scots and Austrian.
:beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"NO CUTS, NO GLORY"
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Right now ... pines
Bonsai Age: 4

Previous

Return to Pines and Junipers