Atlanica cedar

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Dralis
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedar
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Atlanica cedar

Post by Dralis »

Hi shibui

I posted a link to my tree pic above
I will try to take better pics and post it
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Oh yeah I see now. I don't usually follow links so uploading pics to the thread is better - just need to make sure they are under 1mb to load on Ausbaonsai.

Very young tree. I was going to advise wiring and bending but remembered you're aiming for a straight trunk :palm: I'd probably leave all the current growth because all of it will be adding to the size of the trunk and a thicker trunk is definitely needed. I'd pick a side shoot That can be used to replace the current tall apex at some stage and wire it upright so when you eventually prune off the taller trunk there will be less noticeable change of angle/direction. f you can work out which branches might be in the spots you want your tree's branches they could be cut back to a side shoot to start that long and tedious process of building up ramification.
Otherwise plenty of feed and keep the water up to it so you get maximum growth for the next 10 years or so.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dralis
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedar
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Dralis »

Thanks for the advice shibui will probably take it very slow and just let it grow and feed it.
I was just going to let the main grow straight uo as im giing for a straight tree with minimal side foliage.
Just need to decide which branch to vut back to begin branching and ratification

Return to “Pines and Junipers”