Future Literati

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Future Literati

Post by MJL »

Inspired by a beautiful book by Zhao Qingguan - Literati Style Penjing containing photos like this
IMG_5111.JPG
IMG_5114.JPG
In autumn this year, I saw a whole bunch of Cedrus Deodara on a Bonsai sale bench. Most were $3 a few were $5 .... I bought 13.

They were totally root bound - crud - clinging to life. I thought, if I’m lucky, I might be rewarded with few literati pups. Seems - all but one many have survived the severest of root pruning .... new growth is sprouting. Woot!
IMG_5110.JPG
Please note - people may know I like group and forest plantings
- this is not that - simply a training pot to bring some orphans back to health.

While Himalayan Cedar are not the perfect tree ... I like what the future may hold - individual Literati options abound!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Future Literati

Post by Watto »

Good luck, I love literati.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Watto wrote:Good luck, I love literati.
Cheers Watto. Hey, if you love Literati do yourself a favour and buy this book. I have it open in our family room and someone in the family turns a page most days ... inspiration and a talking point.
IMG_5117.JPG
IMG_5120.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Matter of fact, I do have that book and there are a number of photos that are quite inspirational.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Keep up the good work, I'll look forward to seeing what comes of these orphans!
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Have to agree with MJL and Watto, some amazing trees in this book
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Future Literati

Post by MJL »

It is an interesting time on AusBonsai at present - a heathing, seething mix of emotions and factions spawned by the mysterious arrival of a new juniper ... so .... I hark back to calmer times and a few rescued orphans...

These cedrus have settled ok ... and I wonder what to do?
IMG_0086.jpg
It was never going to be a group or forest planting - rather potential literati. I just planted them in a single pot as they were being rescued together and I didn’t have enough single pots at the time.

Now, I better understand literati. Literati are not just a few branches at the end of a tall trunk. Further, just banging aggressive bends into these seems obvious, sort of ...meh!

So what? “Cut the trunks” people shout! Nup.

And ... ha! My love if groups has heightened. So what to do.

With apologies to AnthonyW and Ryceman3- both artists of note - I’m think a single line of of sinuous beauty; here’s my crap drawing.
IMG_0088.jpg
I hope it doesn’t look as sh!t as my drawing but I don’t reckon it will. In fact ... eventually - I reckon it will look different, elegant, unique, natural and trees once destined for compost will stand proudly amongst my other pre-bonsai. Further, this type of cedrus are not great for bonsai with their weeping habit. By taking this path, I think I’ll enjoy them when they are weeping - they will have room to drape; like a well cut dress. Also they’ll look good when I cut them back.

Now to find a long shallow rectangular unglazed pot.

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Last edited by MJL on February 23rd, 2019, 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

And then ... despite my tag line. I am not patient.
And then ... despite trying to pass on some knowledge - I am still not learning myself...
And then ... I do this pot of poo-tickets. Poo-tickets being a polite word for smelly stuff.

Talk about letting my imagination get ahead of amy ability I thought I was attaining!

Sometimes I’m happy but here’s a post more about what not to do.

Started well ... I mean ... the sun was shining... wired the pot to ensure I could stand these trees where I wanted them!
IMG_0212.jpg
And the no matter what if did - nothing looked remotely good.

I become frustrated and rather well... more frustrated. So here’s where I stopped after numerous hrs. Rot. No matter which way it is viewed.
IMG_0213.jpg
IMG_0215.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg
IMG_0218.jpg
Yep, the composition looks crud no matter which way you look at it.

In short - apart from my desire to do something creative this morning on a lovely sunny morning - which was enjoyable even though frustrating - there is really nothing to learn from this but I am posting the update so people can see that this hobby is up and down: as is life I guess.

Still I suppose I had a crack.

Have a good day.

matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by matlea »

Give it time.... maybe rather than trying to put movement into the trunks wire them straight as a classical forest.... just my 2c
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Yeah thanks for the idea, Matlea. As you say - ‘give it time’ is probably the wise council and that’s party why I am sookin’-it-up - I basically rushed into it - I mean, why on earth is it even in a bonsai pot!

Anyway me being a goose is part of the picture and I’ll now give it time and see what comes to mind.

I had this thought of a sinuous, elegant but ghostly type forest; little Casper’s floating between the branches on any given night - not even a ghost will inhabit this mess.

Ha! Even mistakes can be enjoyable I guess - it mean - it’s kinda fun taking the p!ss out of my own creation - I’ll be far more respectful of others though!

anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.

Post by anthonyW »

Can see another direction Mark if your keen for a sketch.

Anthony
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

anthonyW wrote:Can see another direction Mark if your keen for a sketch.

Anthony
Yes, please! I even threw the dude below at it - thought he might build a bridge and find a future! :-)
IMG_0223.jpg

PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle/juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by PWC »

don't be so hard on yourself, you have a vision that for me is the hard part. I'm sure if you exercise your patience you will end up enjoying the journey and the final result.
Peter.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

That’s very kind PWC - I was just outside watering and played around a bit more. Yeah, it’s no critical mess just a bit of a daft attempt, I guess. And the daft attempt makes me smile.

I looked up from underneath it - it’s odd but I tend to look up from underneath trees a lot. I get a different perspective that way that look that I was after wasn’t far off .... ghoulish indeed.
IMG_0226.jpg
IMG_0225.jpg
It’s better to attempt something than do nothing.

anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.

Post by anthonyW »

Okay my thinking....skinny very slight/slow taper trunks make great forests with minimal foliage, your trunks/trees suit this, why because they grow tall and straight with a lot of competition (in forests) looking for light,..... pretty common observation in nature.

I see what you are trying to do and sorry to say a little contrived to me..in my opinion :)

So seeing I think 8 trees you have and having many a 'HOUR' drawing placing your trees till I was finally happy with the placement....,you better use this drawing Mark or else :lol: only joking.

Okay to run with this pay attention to placement.. with the main 5, tree1,2,3 will be on the top of mound/hill and you don 't have to be ridiculously high either, the other 5 will be sliding off as per drawing on the side left and right.. you see the slope and size for tree 6,7,8 give the illusion for them to appear in the background, but not really, so take note of the aerial and front shot.

Heights are very important T1 the tallest and all falling in height one by one to T8 the least in height,,,vital T2 and T3 stay close in height in order to T1 as not to isolate T1 in height for it to work.

Take note of T6,7, and 8 distance from T2 and T2 from T1 , you must pay attention to that... the gap slightly bigger with small group to T2 over T2 to T1

Keep the baulk of the foliage on the outside of course, and the crowns via drawing will dictate who crosses who on the trunks.

If you go this way every thing planted on the right wandering to half way and/or maybe just over...

Your pot is ideal for this by the way.

maybe something there for you...good luck Mark
phpnqXL3aAM.jpg
phpUk1NNZAM.jpg
Last edited by anthonyW on March 16th, 2019, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”