my Squamata

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
demps
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 3

my Squamata

Post by demps »

:gday: guys heres a few photos of my juniper I've worked on this year (unfortunately no beginning shot from stock)

Front view
IMG_2353 2.jpg
Back view
IMG_2362.jpg
Bottom back branch
IMG_2359.jpg
apex
IMG_2364.jpg
branch below apex
IMG_2366.jpg
Just after some constructive criticism or any ideas as to how you would style this tree. I know its in need of some pruning and I need to sort out the apex as its looking pretty damn healthy and dominant. I have a pretty thick branch that is below the apex of the tree which I cut back ( photo 4..thought maybe it could be a new top of the tree) and also a funny branch right at the base (photo 3) which I am thinking of creating a jin out of or possibly leaving as a sacrifice to thicken the base of my tree

Also having some trouble wrapping my head around pruning and trimming to develop pads. I have thick, developed branches towards the bottom but the secondary ones (needles) are all relatively new and green, should i still be pinching/pruning these to achieve density or just let them grow out? ...I've been staring at my juniper for quite some time the past couple of weeks :lost: thought id see what you guys think

cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: my Squamata

Post by benbonsai »

Looks nice and healthy
The first thing I would be doing is getting some thicker wire and compressing the trunk with some nice bends and twists.
Slow and steady wins the race
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Sounds like you already realise that this tree is very tall and skinny so lacks impressiveness (is that a real word :lost: )
Ben has given one option to reduce height and give more drama to the trunk - wire and bend.
Pruning is another option which will improve taper as well as reducing height. Note that shorter trunks actually look thicker than tall ones even if there is no actual difference in diameter.
The thick branch near the top is still a long way up. It also goes toward the current back. Apex looks far better when it comes toward the front of the tree so unless you can wire the trunk and bend that branch forward a bit or change the viewing angle (front) it is probably not a good candidate for apex - Look lower for better candidates. The best tree is probably in the first 3 or 4 branches. I know that's a lot to cut off but sometimes going backward is the best way to go forward. Looks like there are plenty of options for differently styled bonsai in those lower branches. Another alternative would b to remove some of the lower branches and create a tall, thin, elegant bonsai with minimal foliage and branching - sort of literati. giving lots of alternatives is probably not helping your decision making processes though ;)

re pruning junipers: They can shoot on bare wood but it is not a good idea to let them grow too much. Regular pinching is probably best maintenance most of the time. Older wood cannot be hurried. The shoots will mature and thicken in their own time. Need to be patient with bonsai.

Funny branch could be used for either sacrifice or jin. I'd usually vote for sacrifice branch because growth is normally quite slow. sacrifice branch will help with some thickening. The trouble with converting branches to jin is that the bark makes up quite a lot of smaller branches. I think if you make this into jin now it will be very thin and threadlike rather than impressive old, dead branch. allowing it to grow freely as a sacrifice branch will allow it to thicken and any jin will be better after. trouble with sacrifice branches is that the tree will not be 'bonsai' while you have sacrifice branches. Are you patient enough to wait for a few years or even longer?

Hope you get some good ideas.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
demps
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by demps »

shibui wrote:The best tree is probably in the first 3 or 4 branches. I know that's a lot to cut off but sometimes going backward is the best way to go forward. Looks like there are plenty of options for differently styled bonsai in those lower branches. Another alternative would b to remove some of the lower branches and create a tall, thin, elegant bonsai with minimal foliage and branching - sort of literati. giving lots of alternatives is probably not helping your decision making processes though ;)
cheers for the input mate, really appreciate the advice :tu: the more alternatives the better I say ;) decided to go with the chop and create a new apex and keep the informal upright style

Return to “Pines and Junipers”