What kind of wood can I use for a phoenix graft?

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
sheepdawg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

What kind of wood can I use for a phoenix graft?

Post by sheepdawg »

I really want to have a go at a phoenix graft but don't know what type of wood to use or even where to get it. Where should I start looking?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: What kind of wood can I use for a phoenix graft?

Post by shibui »

You can use any wood but softer woods will rot away relatively quickly and defeat the whole project. Wood preservatives may give extra life to any wood. Harder and more durable woods will give you a longer lasting tree.

Juniper wood is generally pretty durable. You'll need to keep an eye out for people or councils renovating garden beds and ask for the stumps or larger trunks. Maybe a club member has had a large juniper die?

Mallee roots have been a really durable wood source in Australia and often have great shapes but with less large scale land clearing they are not as available as they once were. Inland farming areas, occasionally from parks and gardens.

Beach driftwood: There seems to be much more straight pieces of driftwood on beaches these days derived from sawn boards but some interesting pieces sometimes show up if you look often and hard enough. You probably won't know the species so it may be pot luck whether it will last. Probably best to treat with a wood preservative. Driftwood comes already well weathered and sanded.

Interesting branches from garden trees, council pruning or arborists. Might be worth making contact with some of the tree services in your area. Most will probably think you are quite mad but some may be inclined to help for a small fee.

Firewood collection areas are set aside each year in bush areas near townships where people who rely on wood for domestic heating can gather firewood. The lumps you are looking for will probably not be useful to firewood collectors and you can probably get away with taking just a couple of short branches. Taking anything, even dead branches and stumps, from National parks is frowned upon so it would be safer to limit collecting to roadsides, state forests or private property.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi sheepdawg,
I'm fortunate that I live close to the beach and have picked up some nice pieces of driftwood in northern N.S.W. I've also found that the roots of trees often have more interesting and contorted shapes than the branches, and after a big cyclone swell there are usually areas of erosion where the roots are exposed, often hanging in the air. Sometimes they break off :whistle: and come in very handy for making a phoenix graft. Maybe you should take a walk along some of the creeks in your area after some heavy storms and look for branches that have been washed down in the flood.
I have used hardwoods like from casuarinas or eucalypts and they last well. I give the part that is in the soil a couple of coats of varnish which also helps to extend the life.
I cut the bottom of the dead branch at the desired angle and then screw a couple of pieces of aluminium flat section in the shape of a cross to the bottom . This can then be secured to the bottom of the pot with wires. Sometimes you need only a short section. I've put in a pic of one started not long ago.
Cheers, Frank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AGarcia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougie, Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by AGarcia »

Aquariums are a great source for wood to use. Not free like the other suggestions but less effort and more chance of finding something good.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

If you can get it Mallee is the best for longevity, some of aquarium shops sell it.Not cheap though.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing

Return to “Pines and Junipers”