Shimpaku Progression

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
mondies19
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 1

Shimpaku Progression

Post by mondies19 »

Hi all,

My name is Fraser. Long time lurker, first time poster. I got my first tree midway through 2017 and rapidly became obsessed with the hobby, seemingly a common trend among everyone here :lol: Having recently bought a new camera I decided it was time to photograph my trees more often and share a few with the community here.

I purchased this Shimpaku from Bonsai Mujo in Adelaide in early September, 2017. I think it shows the improvement in my skills and understanding, much of which was gained through information found in these forums.

As I got it:
AB1.JPG
First chop and wire (7/9/17):
AB2.JPG
Before today's trim and wire:
AB3.jpeg
After (22/12/18):
AB4.jpeg
I'm fairly happy with the direction this one is heading although I'm unsure what to do about the rough jin's that remain, any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Same goes for a pot shape/finish when the day comes, I've been too busy concentrating on keeping them alive to be concerned with what they're in!

Thanks,

Fraser
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Shimpaku Progression

Post by benbonsai »

Mate, fairly impressive for a first tree I’m assuming and first timer?
Much better than my first attempts.

From the first style it can be hard to picture and find a path forward especially when you have the shape and branches you had, but you seem to have found something very decent (I think anyway).
And it looks very healthy... good job.

I love junipers and love seeing threads for them.
Slow and steady wins the race
mondies19
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by mondies19 »

I appreciate the feedback mate! I had a couple already but this was the first one I had a real crack at styling and wiring, I remember thinking at the time that it looked pretty good :palm:
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by benbonsai »

mondies19 wrote:I appreciate the feedback mate! I had a couple already but this was the first one I had a real crack at styling and wiring, I remember thinking at the time that it looked pretty good :palm:
No worries, like I said I love a good juniper.

I’m still fairly inexperienced but if you like to read and research then it doesn’t take long to get the basics down :reading:
The hardest thing I found was knowing when to water... still struggle sometimes :palm:

Definitely keep updating the thread.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

benbonsai wrote:
mondies19 wrote: The hardest thing I found was knowing when to water... still struggle sometimes :palm:

Nice tree Mondies and big effort for the first tree :yes: :yes:

Re watering, I keep it Simple,
I water everyday at 7am and on those 40+ days I might do so again in the afternoon for the smallest pots and trees showing signs of heat stress.
a well draining mix and you have few issues with overwatering. I could happily do so 2 - 3 times a day but in substrates there is no need

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by benbonsai »

kcpoole wrote:
benbonsai wrote:
mondies19 wrote: The hardest thing I found was knowing when to water... still struggle sometimes :palm:

I water everyday at 7am and on those 40+ days I might do so again in the afternoon for the smallest pots and trees showing signs of heat stress.
a well draining mix and you have few issues with overwatering. I could happily do so 2 - 3 times a day but in substrates there is no need

Ken
Since moving to akadama for a few trees I’m having no troubles with watering those as they drain so well, but still have a few trees in organic mix that can be hard to tell haha. More and more confident every day though.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hi Fraser,

Welcome to the forum. Great first post. :tu2:

Mate - I have been going at this hobby for 5+ years now and I've only recently got the confidence to go as hard as you at a plant! And look at the results - well played.

My sense is that you have the attitude and confidence to expand your skills and confidence much quicker than timid folk like me.

I look forward to watching this progress.

Cheers,

Mark
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
mondies19
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by mondies19 »

kcpoole wrote:
benbonsai wrote:

Ken
Hi Ken, appreciated! I've got my Conifers in 50/50 split of pine bark and pumice, seems to drain well enough and everything is growing nicely.
MJL wrote:Hi Fraser,

Welcome to the forum. Great first post. :tu2:

Mate - I have been going at this hobby for 5+ years now and I've only recently got the confidence to go as hard as you at a plant! And look at the results - well played.

My sense is that you have the attitude and confidence to expand your skills and confidence much quicker than timid folk like me.

I look forward to watching this progress.

Cheers,

Mark
Thanks for the welcome, Mark. I've definitely been over zealous at times and have run into issues and lost trees but I suppose thats all apart of the learning curve! Hopefully this one recovers well and is ready to be moved forward again soon :fc:

Return to “Pines and Junipers”