Juniper new bulb growth browning and deformed?

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
AndrewAustralia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 4

Juniper new bulb growth browning and deformed?

Post by AndrewAustralia »

Hi All,

Was watering my junipers this morning and noticed a lot of brown spots. My junipers are pretty much perfectly green so I took a closer look and definetely don't feel it is a normal browning where the needles are old and drop off etc.

Tried to take some close ups below. It seems to only be around the new growth, almost stunting it and deforming it? All the older needles are perfectly fine.

The new growth takes an almost cactus like shape I guess?

Some points that might help...

- five junipers, all near one another all showing same signs
- maples have had thrips so I have been spraying regularly with Yates organic over the last month every week or so. It treats mites so I have been spraying a bit on junipers too.
- Have used eco neem about a month ago on my junipers as they had mites last year so as regular maintenance I spray eco neem every 2-3 months
- occasionally when I tap the branches on my junipers after not touching for some time I notice minuscule white flying bugs come off?

TL;DR - new growth is browning, help!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers

Re: Juniper new bulb growth browning and deformed?

Post by robb63 »

Hi Andrew
This is only a guess based on a similar issue I had last year but your mites may be back.
I confirmed mites with the paper test. Tapping branch over sheet and smearing with finger
If dusty stuff residue falling on paper smears reddish colour you know the monsters are back for sure.
I kept spraying monthly including other junipers near buy until new, healthy growth started.
Because my spider mites had spread to a near by healthy tree I have kept spraying a systemic regularly
My infestation came from a recently purchased tree which is something I'm now more carful of
cheers
AndrewAustralia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper

Re: Juniper new bulb growth browning and deformed?

Post by AndrewAustralia »

Hey mate, I did the "tap test" this morning and nothing came off that was moving anyway. Also no signs of webs. I didn't have this when I had mites last time hmm

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Return to “Pines and Junipers”