Twisted Radiatas

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Twisted Radiatas

Post by MJL »

I’ve been feeling like cra@p for the past few days - now resting - Dr’s orders. Perhaps because I’m frustrated I decided bend some
‘sh!t cheap’ (technical term) Radiata seedlings. Not strenuous and got me some fresh air..... It went something like this:
IMG_0495.jpg
IMG_0494.jpg
IMG_0496.jpg
IMG_0499.jpg
IMG_0501.jpg
I am always surprised by a tree’s ability to withstand my torture! These ‘stalks’ were quite stiff but by gosh can you go hard at ‘em.

I have a huge dislike of corkscrew bends but it’s hard not to end up with corkscrews - after I thought I avoided them - these photos show I have still managed a few.

Anyway who knows —- there’s method to my madness. A few months ago I had few pines but inspired by R3’s seed growing experiment and Kerrin’s genius, I though - stuff it I’m in. So - I purchased a heap of seedlings from R3 and I augmented with less popular and cheap species to learn on - like these.

I am also buying some more mature ‘traditional’ stock too. And as with other posts purchasing some nursery stock too....

Anyway - you may notice some more straight seedlings At the back of the last photo. There’s going to be a lot of variety in my approach and we’ll see where I end up in ten years.

R3 - don’t panic mate - your quality seedlings will be treated with respect; they’ll be the beneficiaries of my learning ... I hope!

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
baldtwitlion
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: Twisted Radiatas

Post by baldtwitlion »

Hi MJL you need to check out Hanh Baloc on yt to see what some serious twists will look like in time
He’s unique in his approach and well worth a look

MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Cheers Baldwitlion, appreciate the heads up. I was not aware and have just had quick look at some of the videos, specifically one at Bonsai Northwest and I skimmed another with Quentin. Interesting that in relation to my normal wiring - today I have used oversized wire with a tighter coil than normal to get the bends; essentially a methods similar to Hahn uses in his very tall whips. Perhaps I am learning something. Cool - I’m off to an interesting start. My idea was to torture now so that they set and settle before putting in teaming pots in late spring/summer to drive growth for a few years. I think that is the right thing to do?!

Nothing ‘traditional’ here but these trees could be interesting nonetheless. Thanks again for the reference. I’ll sniff around a bit more to see what the future of these twisted trees may hold.

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

Nice job on those bends MJL...good stuff. Looks like you got yourself a few pines! :cool:
These guys are a little way off this point in their life, but just in case you haven’t seen this thread it is one of my favs...
viewtopic.php?f=131&t=22510#p226781
Check it out, plenty of potential in radiatas!
I worry not about “my” seedlings, cos they’re “your” seedlings now! I’m all about experimenting and keeping it interesting.
:beer:

EDIT: just re-read that radiata thread I linked above, and realised I already shoved it down your throat last year! Apologies... but probably worth another look yeah?!? ;)
Last edited by Ryceman3 on May 6th, 2019, 9:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

nice bends mate. That should produce some interesting trees for the future :-)
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Three things, a month on from this post:

1. The radiatas all survived the twists - I mustn't have got heard enough. :whistle: When I first posted this thread baldwitlion suggested I check out Hanh's videos, which I did and that leads to the second point;

2. I had reason to be over the other side of the city this morning. I looked up to see what nurseries were around and noted that Baloc Bonsai was about 15 minutes away. So, off my wife and I went. Quite a funny experience. I did not realise it was Hanh's nursery until I saw some of the stock and started talking to Hanh and it clicked.
Hanh was very friendly. A lovely bloke. It was a different experience though: "How much for the pot?" (just a basic oval pot) - "not for sale". "What about that tree or that tree?" - not for sale. Suffice to say, my wife was relieved and found it quite funny.

Some advanced trees were for sale though and there seemed to be some significant trees being sold to some of Hanh's kinfolk too, I think. Also, there may have been a hoard of good stuff out the back of the nursery too but that didn't seem open to moi. Anyway - it was good to go.

Now having seen Hanh's trees - when his trees work, they work really well. Quite brilliant. Similarly, some of the bends that are in the middle of trees were too 'out there' even for me. Each to their own.

Anyway, worth a visit if you're in the area.

3. I note that I was sick when I started this thread, the bl@@dy cough is still hanging around - 4+ weeks on ... and I am sick of it! Ok, that's my public man-sook! :cry:
Last edited by MJL on June 9th, 2019, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Howdy Folks,
What's the saying: "Fail fast."

Well - these little trees survived my first torture test 3 months ago. Now for stage two - I decided to repot them. They were growing well after the initial bends - why not see if they survive a repot too :?: :fc:

So, into a training tray they go. I really like this layout; it took a little bit of work/re-positioing but in truth, not much - to me the little trees seemed reasonably harmonious - rather than get too tricky, I just left it.

As usual, the moss and rocks are partly to hold things in place and partly to remind my forgetful mind what I was thinking when I put the layout together.

Let's see if they survive stage two. No real drama if they don't. Just an experiment really but one that I am quickly becoming fond of.

One tactical error for sure. I used a large, reasonably deep plastic nursery tray, lined with mesh for drainage; alas, there is no strength so it bends when I try to move it. Not good. :shake: I think I'll be able to slide some wooden slats underneath when I need to move it but another lesson learned! :whistle:

And yes, I should have ground grown them separately to speed width and growth .... but hey, the trees that grow together, stay together. Not really - just justifying my lack of patience. :roll:

Cheers,

Mark
IMG_1266.jpg
IMG_1271.jpg
IMG_1274.jpg
IMG_1277.jpg
Yep, looks alright to me. This last photo below being the front :)
IMG_1272.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Mark ,Interesting group of Trees. Love a good bit of bending... Hard to picture what you are aiming for ,which has to be good. Looking forward to future updates. Cheers John.
dan.e
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by dan.e »

love your project I also find it very hard when bending not to do corkscrews or to find a design that doesn't feel contrived but a few years down the track they seem to look better with a bit of taper and the rejects just get trunk chopped and restarted but I am interested in these radiata there are a lot that grow around here but I didn't think they were suited to bonsai ?are they single flush ?
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Thanks John and Dan.e.

John, you are a polite and diplomatic man "Hard to picture what you are aiming for" or in other words "Oh, Mark what are you up to this time" :lost: ... " or in the shorthand of today "WTF!" :?: :palm: :lost:

Well... in my confused skull, I am trying to make a rugged setting where the pines are beaten down by the elements and twisting/rolling/ 'cascading' down each side of a hill. Now... this might be a ridiculous concept (actually let me be stronger - is ridiculous) because my imagination has been influenced by the dunes down at the beach and how our own natives behave... and these pines are clearly not tea tree and moonah! That said, after I had twisted them ... for no good reason but to get movement ... and then stared at them for a few months ... this is what came to mind so... why not have a crack. :lol:

dan.e - please understand that I am only just getting into pines (some plants I am taking seriously - like some seedlings I purchased from Ryceman3) others, less so - like this experiment. :whistle: As with most of my posts - please take care with anything that I am doing - there are much, much more experienced folk around these Ausbonsai parts. :)

In answer to your question - "Are they single flush?"; well, I am going to treat mine like a single flush to start with but radiata do seem to have a wide range of behaviours as noted in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=131&t=7784&hilit=radiata+pinch

Also and for no other reason than it might be helpful to others, check out these video from of Ryan Neil - 2 parts - dual and single flush. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn1FiRw2JBo

Return to “Pines and Junipers”