Lebanese cedar styling

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Lebanese cedar styling

Post by Matthew »

A picture of my old Lebanese cedar recently restyled by Jow who I was lucky enough to have up for a day . The tree will get a slight angle change and a new pot come spring . I think a oval pot will suit the tree better let me know what you guys think . The crown has been rough wired as it needs some growing to fill in . Next autumn after another prune it maybe ready for a more detailed wiring . This species is interesting in that it produces quite small needles that have a lovely colour and old trees will get a lovely dark cracked bark with horizontal fissures that peel in small chips . This tree seems to enjoy some moisture especially in our hot summer here and will tolerate frost no problem . One thing they seem to hate is having there roots touched too much . I would be very hesitate cutting large roots and removing too much of the root ball at once .

rsz_lebanese cedar.jpg
rsz_lebanese cedar bark.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Lebanese cedar styling

Post by treeman »

Having maturing bark on a cedar is indeed desirable and rare. It usually takes about 40 to 50 years. Compare that with about 20 for a JWP and 10 for a JBP!
Mike
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

treeman wrote:Having maturing bark on a cedar is indeed desirable and rare. It usually takes about 40 to 50 years. Compare that with about 20 for a JWP and 10 for a JBP!
Totally agree Mike. Cedars take along time to get mature bark .All good things come to those who wait. I have seen many a large cedar fast grown and while impressive you cannot replicate what simply mother time achieves in this regard.
Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Atlantics Glauca
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mitch_28 »

[CLAPPING HANDS SIGN]

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Jake fowler
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Olive, Pine
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Jake fowler »

Nice looking tree mate :yes:
Jake
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

nice tree -- there needs more roots developed on the rh side to create a flare and more 'stable' base -can this species throw more roots by being replanted deeper- or is that problematic.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

A wonderful tree Matthew. I love this elegant, statuesque tree. I think an oval or a round pot will improve the harmony between pot and tree. While I can’t see it - this tree has a 360 degree feel about it - a round pot will all its angles to be displayed at any given time.

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
gnichols
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by gnichols »

I've had bags of seeds lying around for five years without the space the try and sprout them and Lebanese cedar is one I'm trying this year. I guess I'll be passing them off to my children if they take 40 years to look good.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by pureheart »

Just beautiful Matthew !!!

I do have a Lebanese cedar and I absolutely love it! yours looks healthier than mine, I do have few dry needles on it, do you have any suggestions on what they like most? How much sun? How much water ? Fertiliser?
What not to do? This will be the first year that I’ll repot it and I’ll be very careful as everyone is mentioning how delicate they are with roots.... would it be dangerous to wash out the old soil with a jet of water?

Thanks!!!

Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

tgward wrote:nice tree -- there needs more roots developed on the rh side to create a flare and more 'stable' base -can this species throw more roots by being replanted deeper- or is that problematic.
Most unlikely especially at this age . Cedars can defiantly develop a even nebari with technique and this tree might of had it at a earier stage in its life and lost some due to die back or grubs . I'm not the first owner. I'm appreciating this tree simply for its bark, small needles and its new shape that with a new round pot and a change of angle the one sided roots will be less of a visual issue.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

cool-- a suitably placed rocky ridge could widen the base and be the reason for the lack of roots
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

pureheart wrote:Just beautiful Matthew !!!

I do have a Lebanese cedar and I absolutely love it! yours looks healthier than mine, I do have few dry needles on it, do you have any suggestions on what they like most? How much sun? How much water ? Fertiliser?
What not to do? This will be the first year that I’ll repot it and I’ll be very careful as everyone is mentioning how delicate they are with roots.... would it be dangerous to wash out the old soil with a jet of water?

Native to there own environment they grow high altitude with hot summers and very wet winters . I have found mine enjoys some summer protection. It gets part shade for the hot summer arvo sun . It also seems to enjoy been moist in summer and ive never had any root issues in the 9 years ive owned this tree . I fertilise basically every two weeks in the gorwing season a mixure of liquid (nitrosol) and slow release (replace 3-4 times a year ) As mentioned be careful with how much root mass you remove at once and I wouldn't wash out old soil maybe just tease the rootball but Mike, leigh, Grant Bowie proberly have more experience with this species.

Thanks!!!

Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

gnichols wrote:I've had bags of seeds lying around for five years without the space the try and sprout them and Lebanese cedar is one I'm trying this year. I guess I'll be passing them off to my children if they take 40 years to look good.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
You could have a nice tree in say 10years its just the mature bark that takes half a life time..........
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

Jake fowler wrote:Nice looking tree mate :yes:
Cheers I think a repot into a round pot, change of angle, a growing season and rewire and ill really enjoy this tree
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

MJL wrote:A wonderful tree Matthew. I love this elegant, statuesque tree. I think an oval or a round pot will improve the harmony between pot and tree. While I can’t see it - this tree has a 360 degree feel about it - a round pot will all its angles to be displayed at any given time.
Total agree a round pot will suit ill have to see what pots I got left. It defiantly has a 360 degree feel. Jow did a great job with that . it just need a year growing and further refinement.

Bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”