[Pearcy] Juniper Sabina 'Calgary Carpet'

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

[Pearcy] Juniper Sabina 'Calgary Carpet'

Post by Pearcy001 »

Picked up this Juniper Sabina 'Calgary Carpet' a couple of years ago now. It's a low growing ground cover, so naturally grows across rather than up. Due to the rough foliage I believe it would lend itself better to a larger size tree, but I'm more of a Shohin man myself so I'll try keep it that way for now.

When I acquired it, it had 3 long straight branches extending out from the apex. All were straight and bare, with excess foliage at the tips. Due to the extending growth, In the wind this tree would have fallen off my bench about 6 times while in my care. The 3 branches were removed in 2017, both out of frustration at finding it on the floor so often and in an attempt to get growth back down near the future apex.

Once removed I just left the tree in its broken plastic pot to see what would develop. 6 months later I again returned to the tree and began on some Shari, extending it down the length of the trunkline. There were about 15 similar sized shoots coming from the same point near the apex. Non were really strong enough to select yet so I left the tree for about another 12-18 months to see what would develop.

Finally today with a couple of shoots being stronger, I was able to get started on the tree with it's first basic styling. Due to the Sabina's low growing nature, I chose to keep this glowing low in a semi cascade style. As you can tell from all the photos up until today, I was always planning on using the opposite side as the front (flowing left to right). After sitting down and seeing what had emerged, I chose to turn it around and swap the direction. This was mainly due to the visible extending deadwood at the apex and where the low directional branch leaves the trunk.

I'll continue to try refine this over the coming years and either keep it as Shohin or let it blow out. In the near future once growth extends I'll probably move the apex further left in order to expose the top Jin more. I've also left excess foliage to try assist with drainage through winter and will thin it out much further during spring.

Looking at the photos I may also lift the lowest branch a little and rotate the tree slightly forward at repot to show the Shari up the trunkline - and much better movement. Certainly not a great tree and in the photos the back looks like a better future. I'll reassess in spring.

As always, all comments welcome.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pearcy001 on May 19th, 2019, 8:14 pm, edited 11 times in total.
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines junipers and others
Bonsai Age: 40

Re: [Pearcy] Juniper Sabina 'Calgary Carpet'

Post by rodm »

Yep, love it. Going to be a beauty in the future :tu:
Cheers RodM
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Cool little tree, I look forward to watch it progress.

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Nice! Thanks for showing its journey.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”