Cedrus Atlantica - Shakan

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Cedrus Atlantica - Shakan

Post by MJL »

In my efforts to slowly build better stock, I recently purchased this tree and another ‘gluaca’/blue variant.

Apart from doing some minor work in the Shari (more to do) - I have not done anything to the styling, yet.

Front
IMG_0758.jpg
Back
IMG_0759.jpg
I think it will benefit from a tilt forward and slant to accentuate the positive aspects of the tree.

Possible new replanting angle.
IMG_0760.jpg
I think the top needs work. There is a very thick branch at the top left that I think is too heavy for its position.
IMG_0761.jpg
Very hard to draw but I am thinking something like this.
IMG_0760.jpg
In effect, Jin the overly thick branch, tilt and bend the top section to create a new top and fill gap to right. Move back branch back to left to fill space left by jinning the thick branch.

Apologies if that does not makes senses

I welcome other thoughts.

Cheers,

Mark

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Cedrus Atlantica - Shakan

Post by treeman »

I like this one. You don't need to do much IMO. Keep the top as is it's very good. Keep it flat.
Mike
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Ok, cheers. Thanks Mike. I appreciate the advice![THUMBS UP SIGN]

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Second Mike's apex advice. Old cedars almost always develop a flattened apex. Make the top from several branches wired to give the flat top instead of the usual single point apex. Pointy top cedars are young and still growing.
Lowest branches can be below horizontal. Branches on older cedars seem to droop down quite a bit.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

I guess this tree could be a design guide - albeit mine is slanting and has more curvature in the trunk.
IMG_0784.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

I reckon this tree deserves a pot this year. Credit where credit is due ... it is one of the trees that I purchased from Tim, so kudos to Tim for the care to date. I am struggling with pot selection - I thought round but my head is going around and around ... pardon the pun. :lost:

Recently, I thought someone posted a link to a site that helped re: pot selection (but I can locate it if they did) and I have numerous books which I will reference too but I thought I would canvas any thoughts from this fine community.

Here's a few shots from today before the sun went down ...
IMG_6459.jpg
IMG_6460.jpg
I think I may tilt it slightly upon repotting as per below ...not sure
IMG_6462.jpg
Ideas welcome.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

It's looking better and better under your care Mark! Just keep an eye on the branches, and especially the tips, the will try to pull the appearance of the branch back up again. The main branches are set now, but wire the tips as needed. Needle plucking the undersides of the branches will help you achieve a better pad silhouette too. :yes:

For your pot thoughts, the below photo is the pot it came in to me, an el-cheapo chinese oval job. I don't have a photo of it in this pot, but it neither looked bad nor good. It was a training pot, so that's why i took it out of this pot and put it into one of my grow boxes there to stretch it's roots out.

Others will be able to advise better on pot choices who actually grow cedar (not me), but just so you have an idea of what it was in before you head down the path of a deep oval pot again that i can say 100% does not flatter this tree at all.

I think the tree is almost at the point where it deserves something a little better than a training pot or box quite frankly.

Crappy quick phone photos.
cp1.jpg
cp2.jpg
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

I’m not going to give any pot advice, it’s an area I don’t think I have enough experience in to really add a forthright opinion.
I did want to say that of all your trees this one is up there for me... great lines in my opinion and a natural look that ticks a lot of boxes for me. :yes:
As you have said, and speaking of boxes, it is time this one was relieved of its grow box and found a new home. Good luck picking one and choose carefully, it deserves something nice!
:beer:
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Hey Folks,

I am a little confused with repotting timing. Here is my tree as it is now. Is it too late to repot or indeed, should I repot later in summer? There seems to be a fair breadth of advice. That said, I still haven't landed on a pot so no rush - if I need to wait another year I will.

Anyway, any thoughts on repotting timing? And again, if anyone has any more thoughts on pot I'd be interested. Currently I am thinking a dark pot, perhaps texted or with a matt glaze reflecting the nature of the bark... perhaps oval (or rectangle) with the tree slightly tilted and offset.

Cheers in advance.
IMG_6666.jpg
IMG_6668.jpg
IMG_6669.jpg
IMG_6667.jpg
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

MJL wrote: September 7th, 2019, 7:22 am if anyone has any more thoughts on pot I'd be interested. Currently I am thinking a dark pot, perhaps texted or with a matt glaze reflecting the nature of the bark...

:wave: MJL
Regarding finishes - I found this rough textured pot by Denise Allen really accentuated the bark texture and colour of a deador cedar I currently have.
denise allen.JPG
denise allen pot.jpg
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Geez I love that texture, thanks for the posting this pic! I’ll look at Denise’s pots - I am yet to come cross Denise’s work.
one_bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by one_bonsai »

I would reduce the size of some of the branches:

Cedar Re-design.jpg
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Hey O_B (wan),

My apologies for the delayed response, I have been rather busy.

I like what you've suggested here - rather subtle changes to tighten up the tree a little. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Mark
鸕盆栽 Gamauji Bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Korean Bonsai Association

Post by 鸕盆栽 Gamauji Bonsai »

MJL wrote: September 9th, 2019, 11:31 am Hey O_B (wan),

My apologies for the delayed response, I have been rather busy.

I like what you've suggested here - rather subtle changes to tighten up the tree a little. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Mark
For a powerful tree like this the second pot posted is better. Light or feminine pots would like out of place.
Either a textured pot like in second pic (but no so much as to overpower the tree) or dark brown super plain would be better.

You want the tree and pot to be seen as one
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

I've probably let patience get the better of me. Perhaps I could have waited another month but I wanted to transfer this tree to a pot from a grow box. It's not the final pot but it's the best that I had around the house at the moment. I think it looks OK. In future a more rugged pot will support this tree.

One of the things I am trying to do better is improve that way I anchor trees into their pots. This tree is wired in through the root ball - solid as a rock but again I learn all the time - once it's anchored, "it's anchored Gerry" and apart from re-doing wiring - it cannot be moved. I think the positioning may be improved if the tree was slightly tilted toward the viewer but alas - it is where it is for the next 2-3 years now. I have also opened up the mix, the roots were happy but quite wet and the mix I have now chosen to use is more open, the top dressing is finer than what's underneath so I'll need to take care; this new mix will dry out a lot quicker than the old.

The tree is a little messy at present. The tree had verdant early spring growth, so a few weeks back I pinch-pruned (and cut off any upwards/downwards shoots too). I am now going to let it settle and then think about some of the styling suggestions mentioned in this post. For now - it is what it is - and I feel good to have something akin to a bonsai in my collection (rather than all the sticks in pots ;) ). I do love the bark emerging on this tree. :)
IMG_6937.jpg
IMG_6938.jpg
IMG_6939.jpg
IMG_6940.jpg
IMG_6941.jpg
IMG_6943.jpg
IMG_6942.jpg

Return to “Pines and Junipers”