Cedrus Glauca: New Blue?

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Cedrus Glauca: New Blue?

Post by MJL »

So here’s another Cedrus that I recently picked up. It’s been under good care. I probably would not have got purchased it but the combined deal was very generous in value and I thought, why not? I do love the look of blue cedars.

This tree probably lends itself to a formal or informal upright but the stock has issues.
IMG_0764.jpg
IMG_0765.jpg
Perhaps too radical but .... with that bare side and where the bulk of the nebari sits, I reckon it could be a reasonable semi-cascade over time. Especially considering where the branches sit on the possible bend line.
IMG_0766.jpg
IMG_0767.jpg
It’s grafted stock too, so not ideal.

I think this shape might help to reduce visibility of the graft point in due course too.

I am a little worried that I won’t be able to get a bend down really low but perhaps that can be addressed by changing the potting angle in due course.

Thoughts?

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Cedrus Glauca: New Blue?

Post by shibui »

I really like sparse formal upright. Just a few branches tells a story of struggle and survival so not always necessary to have a full, balanced canopy.
I would hope that the graft will heal and become less noticeable in time. Both stock and scion have similar bark so only problem could be swelling over time :fc:

Formal upright can be very difficult to do well but this one might just do it.
There's already far too many poor cascade and semi cascade cedars so I'd steer away from that if possible.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

I appreciate the advice Neil. Thank you. The tree does have a very straight trunk line and where there are branches/limbs, tight compacted growth close to the trunk. It’s a good foundation. For once I have stock where the growth is tight to the trunk and not at the ends of limbs.

Upon reflection, in suggesting a semi-cascade, perhaps I am forcing a tree to my will which rarely works; I take your point about the plethora of semi-cascade blues out there ... but I do like them. :-)

Funny - advice from you (on this tree) and Mike (on the other Cedrus) point to me working with what I’ve got rather than making radical or substantive change. A by-product of buying better base stock perhaps ....

Bonsai teaches me patience.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Take another look at the pic you posted on the cedrus thread. The cedar in the background has the sort of sparse branching I'm talking about for this tree. Just 3 or 4 branches and some jins to make an entire tree.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

I worked on this tree at the Waverley Bonsai Club last night. It was an enjoyable night. Many views on this little tree. Some about grafting and filling gaps. Even a thought about a raft. Some saw a rugged sparse tree. Clubs are great to learn from knowledge of experienced members and for the variety of views one tree can engender.

In the end, I am sticking with the original intent - a sparse, harshly weathered tree. But it's way away from that now. As Shibui noted - I am aiming for a tree like is in the background of this picture.
IMG_0784.jpeg
The tree has grown on well since spring and here it was before last night ... unwired, unclipped - just growing.
IMG_6981.jpeg
I am learning in bonsai that they can't be created over night ... so perhaps it's steps back to take steps forward. So I chose a front, cut and trimmed the top to push energy lower. I cut back lower branches to keep growth as close to the trunk as possible. I wired the branches to push them down; they are lower than need because I assume they will push back up after the wire is removed in due course. Regardless, my wring technique needs to improve. I will remove/Jin more branches in future (probably lower down on the right of the first pic below - as an example) but to get worthwhile jin, the branches need more weight so best to keep a few growing at this stage ... also I am unsure of which will come and which will go at this stage.

Anyway - here's where I ended this morning.
IMG_6996.jpeg
IMG_6997.jpeg
IMG_6998.jpeg
IMG_6999.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

Nice step forward ... :yes:
Based on the photos you posted (and remembering things look different in 3D) I kind of like the look of your "back" as the front, but that's whatever really. All up, I like it, whatever direction!
:beer:
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Just clipping, pinching and growing this little tree, this season. It needs some further wiring but it is really healthy. Saw these little cones yesterday ... quite beautiful. ImageImageImage

MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Yesterday I did an 'anger-based repot' - never a good idea. In short, I was trimming a huge pittosporum hedge on our garden fence-line and basically knackered it - it looked like a bad bl@@dy haircut. Anyway ... a bit sh!tty, I wanted to relax so I thought I conduct an Autumn repot of this cedrus. I didn't really have the pot but used one I had on hand. It's better than the bigger dipper round one it was in... eventually, I think a similar but shallower pot will be the pick.... if it survives!

In the end, I went harder at the roots than I should have and it's too late in the season ... if it doesn't die, I'll be lucky.

On the upside, it is going into a much looser mix - more akin the one I am now using for pines. I think this will be better for the tree - the existing mix was very wet and the roots were wet and black. Not good. If it survives - happy times - if it doesn't, bummer. Big bummer and the lesson is don't repot when you're frustrated with yourself! :palm:
IMG_8500.jpeg
IMG_8501.jpeg

Return to “Pines and Junipers”