Juniper 2012: the reason I’m here

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Juniper 2012: the reason I’m here

Post by MJL »

In 2012, I was given a Juniper for Christmas. I loved the surprise gift. It was purchased from a bonsai nursery (since closed) by my mum and dad. This tree is the reason my enjoyment of bonsai was sparked. It’s the reason you all have to put up with so many posts from me!!

Anyway ... here is it a few years back.
IMG_1613.jpg
Even though it sparked my interest when it was kindly given to me - it’s really just a ‘Z’ shape of straight lines. I had played around with some of the branches but that’s about all. Being a gift - I didn’t want to change the design and early on, I didn’t have the confidence anyway.

Today I thought - stuff it; time to do something because this tree was turning into a big heap of nothingness.

So... here ‘tis after some bends. It’s now half the height it was, turns multiple ways and therefore not so linear. It’s more interesting, I think.
IMG_0814.jpg
IMG_0810.jpg
IMG_0811.jpg
IMG_0812.jpg
It’s better and I guess it gives me something to work with. I’ll compress it more, do more with the top too. It’s a start and I don’t feel like I’ve disrespected a gift, rather I am trying curate a future path so that the gift keeps giving. :-)

Cheers,

Mark

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Juniper 2012: the reason I’m here

Post by MJL »

For some weird reason - the photo of the original tree is right at the bottom of the initial post ... not up the top, where I thought I had placed it. It doesn’t match the words but you’ll still be able to see the original ‘Z’ shape.

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I always enjoy seeing people’s first bonsai; where it all started. You have certainly improved it with the changes you have made, don’t feel like the history has been affected by it. Since it will always grow and always be changing, it mad as well be changing for the better!
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

I agree with Tim, if it's going to change make it change for the better. Clearly that is the case. As your knowledge and confidence evolves so does your thinking about potential in your trees and the directions you want to take them. When you gain experience and skills, things you never even thought of before can become "do-able" and open up a whole new level of possibilities when you view new stock and review your existing trees. Wonder where this one will be 7 years from now???
:beer:
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Good Evening.

I had another crack at this today ... off with it's head! The poor thing, I have tortured and twisted this tree within an inch of its life. I reckon it's better for it though.

Still nothing special and maybe my rather lackcidaisical approach indicates my disdain for this form of Juniper but I respect the gift I was given all those years ago. Indeed, I enjoy it more each time I give it a tweak. Getting closer to a shohin size every thing I look at it. :)
IMG_6623.jpg
IMG_6626.jpg
IMG_6618.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”