Black pine pale

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Abarnes93
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Jbp
Bonsai Age: 2

Black pine pale

Post by Abarnes93 »

Hey everyone just wondering iff this is normal at all? The colour on one of my black pines seems paler to others I have l. Not as green. Any ideas on what it could be? Or is it normal? Seems to have been growing fine . First photo is last November. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Black pine pale

Post by shibui »

I was going to suggest nutrient deficiency but the tree is in the ground so should be Ok for N and Fe. The final close up picture appears to show speckled coloration on the needles which usually indicates mites or some other very small sap sucking pest rather than nutrient problem.
Check for fine webbing in affected areas.
Try paper test - hold a sheet of white paper under a branch and tap or shake the branch to try to dislodge any pests which should fall onto the paper. White makes it easier to see anything that's moving. Wear your reading glasses or take a magnifying glass to make it easier to spot tiny creatures.

Check and confirm if the paleness is from tiny spots on needles or general yellowing of needles. Also result of check for pests and webbing in affected areas.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

shibui wrote: April 4th, 2023, 9:32 pm The final close up picture appears to show speckled coloration on the needles which usually indicates mites or some other very small sap sucking pest rather than nutrient problem.
Try paper test - hold a sheet of white paper under a branch and tap or shake the branch to try to dislodge any pests which should fall onto the paper. White makes it easier to see anything that's moving. Wear your reading glasses or take a magnifying glass to make it easier to spot tiny creatures.
I think it’s spider mite. I would do as suggested above and smudge any debris that appears across the paper. If it turns red, that is a positive indication they are active.
Abarnes93
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Abarnes93 »

shibui wrote: April 4th, 2023, 9:32 pm I was going to suggest nutrient deficiency but the tree is in the ground so should be Ok for N and Fe. The final close up picture appears to show speckled coloration on the needles which usually indicates mites or some other very small sap sucking pest rather than nutrient problem.

Check and confirm if the paleness is from tiny spots on needles or general yellowing of needles. Also result of check for pests and webbing in affected areas.

Thanks heaps for your info. I can’t include a closeup high quality photo as the file was too large. But there is definately speckled discoloration with a lot of spots all over the place. Would make me think it is a pest on there. I’ll try the paper test later today and post what comes up.
Abarnes93
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Abarnes93 »

Thanks heaps for your info. I can’t include a closeup high quality photo as the file was too large. But there is definately speckled discoloration with a lot of spots all over the place. Would make me think it is a pest on there. I’ll try the paper test later today and post what comes up.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”