Shimpaku Styling or Repot?

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku Leptospermum Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 1

Shimpaku Styling or Repot?

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Hey guys,

So I have a few shimpaku, mostly from last year, which were nursery bought. I did some initial bends and they are pumping along quite well.

I wanted to do some more bending/styling then wait a few months and repot in spring however, I was told the trunks aren’t fully exposed so I should work on that. In doing so lots of soil is falling out and I’m thinking perhaps I should just repot them first.

Should I repot first, wait 2 or so months then do some bends or, the other way around? The weather here in Perth has been warm enough for them all to be sending out new growth right now.

I’m going into my second year with the shimps and would hate any unnecessary deaths.

Yes, most of them are still in the nursery pots/mix. I was going to begin the transition into inorganic. I repotted 2 2 weeks ago and they seems fine.

Any help would be awesome!
Mickey
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Shimpaku Styling or Repot?

Post by shibui »

There is a lot of part truths written online about shimpaku. Young plants can cope with far more than much older trees. I have no problem wiring and bending at repotting time. In fact that's the best time for me as I can wire right down to the roots when they are out of the pots. I would repot, wire and bend all in one operation if they are healthy and young.
Note that actively growing junipers can die back after hard bending as the cambium of phloem seems particularly vulnerable to damage when it is active. For years I got away with bending any time of year but the last couple of years I have lost parts of trunks when bending in spring during active growth.
Repotting any time through winter and spring seems to be OK for shimpaku but be aware that problems often don't show for several weeks, sometimes months, after the cause. I do not count transplants as survived until mid-summer after transplant.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku Leptospermum Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: Shimpaku Styling or Repot?

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

shibui wrote: June 26th, 2023, 5:47 pm There is a lot of part truths written online about shimpaku. Young plants can cope with far more than much older trees. I have no problem wiring and bending at repotting time. In fact that's the best time for me as I can wire right down to the roots when they are out of the pots. I would repot, wire and bend all in one operation if they are healthy and young.
Note that actively growing junipers can die back after hard bending as the cambium of phloem seems particularly vulnerable to damage when it is active. For years I got away with bending any time of year but the last couple of years I have lost parts of trunks when bending in spring during active growth.
Repotting any time through winter and spring seems to be OK for shimpaku but be aware that problems often don't show for several weeks, sometimes months, after the cause. I do not count transplants as survived until mid-summer after transplant.

Thanks shibui, you are a champion. They are really vigorous and have been since I got them. I will give it a shot, I may as well. I thought it was around 3-4 weeks to know if they are going to be ok so, I guess I’m in for a long anxious wait. They seem to be the one plant I’ve had great success with so far which is encouraging.

Fingers crossed for the next few months!

Cheers mate 👍🏽
Mickey

Return to “Pines and Junipers”