Cut back or larger JBP

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
badabing888
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: -

Cut back or larger JBP

Post by badabing888 »

Hi All,

I have a larger black pine bonsai that is not really a bonsai.
It went from huge pot to proper pot last Oct and was basically left to recover after such a large operation.

Its obviously starting to get quite leggy is it ok to now cut back hard coming into spring as its regained its vigor?
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 2.49.03 pm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psymo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus

Re: Cut back or larger JBP

Post by Psymo »

Looks super healthy from here.
Now is the time for pruning, but I would suggest whatever you do,
"take your time, hurry up. The choice is yours don't be late."
Not sure what the growing season is like where you live but in about a months time here in melbourne the buds are going to start moving so you don't really want to be doing any major cutting then.
If anything you could have cut back the unwanted branches at the start of winter, plucked the old needles and applied wiring to begin the transformation of your vision.
Because you know come December you'll be decandling, then Autumn you got bud selection and off you go again.
It depends really how thick you want the branches to be and actually the proportions and scales of everything. I'm thinking you've got a lot of thinking ahead of you.
Good luck!
badabing888
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by badabing888 »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply im in perth metro so timing is more or less similar to melb.

My thinking is more if i let those candles extend from the current buds then it will be even more leggy come december where i wouldnt want to be doing huge cut backs.

In short i think im not styling but more trying to chase the growth back in and make it more compact.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Correct about spring candles extending the size even further. Ad then, later in summer older needles will drop leaving even longer bare sections so it is important to make your move soon.
Response to pruning depends on timing.
Prune now and new buds will form and begin opening in spring. Those will grow quite vigorous, will probably have bare necks and grow long and strong. The tree appears strong and healthy so those strong spring shoots could probably be decandled in December to get smaller, replacement shoots. You may also get some back budding on older, bare wood from early pruning.
Pruning a bit later in spring you'll still get good budding but the new shoots will be less vigorous.
Pruning mid - later summer the trees may not open new shoots right away but they will open and grow strong the following spring.
Autumn/winter pruning will usually delay new shoots until the spring growth surge. New shoots will be strong.

I would go quite hard on a tree like this before it gets beyond recovering. Chop every branch back to the lowest healthy needles to get maximum chances of back budding from the current vigour.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
badabing888
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by badabing888 »

Thanks

so really 2 options

1. prune now chance back budding if growth is strong decandle decemebr as normal
2. prune early oct less vigerous growth wont be decandling less chance back budding

last question is whats best?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Not sure there is a best. More what you require from the tree.
Perth is quite a bit warmer than here so they are probably getting close to growing. I think now is likely to give good results and deal with any strong candles if and when they grow.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Psymo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus

Post by Psymo »

shibui wrote: July 26th, 2023, 9:01 pm Correct about spring candles extending the size even further. Ad then, later in summer older needles will drop leaving even longer bare sections so it is important to make your move soon.
Response to pruning depends on timing.
Prune now and new buds will form and begin opening in spring. Those will grow quite vigorous, will probably have bare necks and grow long and strong. The tree appears strong and healthy so those strong spring shoots could probably be decandled in December to get smaller, replacement shoots. You may also get some back budding on older, bare wood from early pruning.
Pruning a bit later in spring you'll still get good budding but the new shoots will be less vigorous.
Pruning mid - later summer the trees may not open new shoots right away but they will open and grow strong the following spring.
Autumn/winter pruning will usually delay new shoots until the spring growth surge. New shoots will be strong.

I would go quite hard on a tree like this before it gets beyond recovering. Chop every branch back to the lowest healthy needles to get maximum chances of back budding from the current vigour.
Now, that's some sound advice :clap:
badabing888
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by badabing888 »

Job done

We'll see how it reacts removed about 50% maybe more and cut back quite hard also exposed a way forward with potential new Apex / first branch.

Left the potential apex to be longer and cut back to a side branch for the first branch.

Will bend branches dowwards / style a bit once its settled

Screen Shot 2023-07-30 at 2.16.24 pm.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-30 at 2.16.34 pm.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”