Dream of growing a Goyomatsu from seed...

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
RichTajimi
Favorite Species: Goyomatsu
Bonsai Age: 4

Dream of growing a Goyomatsu from seed...

Post by RichTajimi »

Hello all :)

I've recently returned from 5 years in Japan. I got into bonsai whilst there and love it, but I had to give away my bonsai when I left. Now in Canberra.

I would like to start a new bonsai, so I've gathered a bonsai pot, some bonsai potting mix from the Yarralumla nursery (it's pretty black and moist and has a few bits of Akadama in it), so I'm looking to plant seeds.

I had planned to plant a native Australian tree (something with interesting bark, like a Banksia), but I do not currently have any sand to mix into my soil, and even then I'm not sure how good native tree types are for bonsai?

Anyway, my next step is to get some sand and mix it into this bonsai mix, but before I did that I thought I'd seek some advice on this forum.

I've two questions:
- what would be your suggested way to get a native bonsai going?
- is it possible to get Goyomatsu (five needle Japanese white pine, i believe) seeds, or even Kuromatsu (Black Pine - though I don't think it's as beautiful as the five needle variety)?

Huge, huge thanks to anybody who can help me out :)

R
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Re: Dream of growing a Goyomatsu from seed...

Post by Keels »

Welcome back to Aus. Your in luck, this weekend is the Canberra Bonsai society exhibition. You will find lots of different bonsai trees and supplies available for sale. Bonsai world, tree makers, couple of potters and club sales table will have everything you would want or need. You might be able to pick up an aussie native there too.

Here is the details

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30988&p=301710#p301710

Come say hi if you drop in, just ask a club member to point me out :tu:
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

You definitely can grow goyomatsu from seed but you will find it virtually impossible to find the seeds commercially available here

I found an ungrafted one at a nursery once but sold it off to another member years back

Bring in Canberra you have the national collection to visit and from what I see some great growers in the area too, so you're in a good place to start
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Pines are a prohibited import now due to a couple of diseases we don't have here so getting White pine seed is very difficult. I know there are a few white pines growing in various gardens and arboretums so if you are very lucky and know the right people there's a chance they may be able to collect seed at the right time of year. It is difficult but not impossible to strike cuttings of white pine so, again, if you can find the right people you may be able to get a cutting grown white pine.
Black pine is a little easier to get as there are already plenty of trees here in Aus, some of which are producing seed. Just need to find the right person to access.

Not sure if you know the logistics of growing bonsai from seed. It is definitely possible but a VERY long process with plenty of pitfalls along the way. If you have plenty of time try seed but if. like most of us, you would like a result in less than 20 years consider looking for started trees instead of seed.

Many of our Aussie natives are great for bonsai and Canberra has some pioneers of natives as bonsai. I fully expect to see a number of natives in the show and on sale there. Canberra club also hold a Native bonsai show around March each year so look for info on that.

Canberra bonsai show is a great place to start. The club has a large members sale table with heaps of trees of all shapes, species and ages from small starters to older bonsai so something there for everyone.
Bonsai World should also be there with a range of stock and I'll be bringing a range of trees from Shibui Bonsai. I don't have Goyomatsu seed but will have some Black pine seed for sale as a second option. I'll look at the few black pine seedlings I have left to see if any are worth taking up.
Come and introduce yourself at the Shibui Bonsai sales table at the show this weekend. :wave:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BirchMan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop WA

Post by BirchMan »

Hi Rich
I'd recommend reviewing the thread The Pine Project by Ryceman3. It should give you a guide on what can be done with black pines from seed in a relatively low number of years.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”