Measuring the marigolds

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Promethius
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything I’ve not managed to kill yet
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: BSV

Measuring the marigolds

Post by Promethius »

New growth on one of my pines inexplicably started going grey a few days ago. It had been fine up til this point. Only half the candles were affected, in a seemly random distribution, and some needles from affected candles were spared. On (very) close inspection, I found the smallest of marauders - barely-visible caterpillars, one on each candle. They had spread to neighbouring pines but nothing else, I hope.
IMG_6694.jpeg
The damage
IMG_6693.jpeg
The culprit

I’ve had a surfeit of unwelcome caterpillar grazing in the last year, but this was my first affected pine. Has anyone seen similar before? Is it a common problem I should’ve been looking out for?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yes, the username is misspelled: no, I can’t change it.

Andy
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Elm, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Measuring the marigolds

Post by TimIAm »

Not sure if it's something to do with the weather pattern this year. I have also had visiting marauders this year. :evil: Had a tree with 2 branches and only one putting out a flush of growth this spring, only to find that the 2nd branch had almost been completely ring-barked by a small grub.

Also found one of these (small grub) munching through the base of new needles on a pine. It was camped right in the middle of the new growth. Just eating the base of needles and letting them drop. So far only one pine was affected and I'm keeping a look out.

Had a couple other trees with deadwood features that have also been attacked by tiny borers.

With all of the rain at the end of last year, things have been very atypical with growth and insects in my garden this year.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Promethius wrote: October 7th, 2023, 9:37 pm Has anyone seen similar before? Is it a common problem I should’ve been looking out for?
Hi Promethius,
In short, no I haven’t seen this before. I guess the good news is you managed to identify the culprit and I appreciate the post… something to look out for now/consider should I see anything similar so thanks for the heads up.
:yes: :beer:
Promethius
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything I’ve not managed to kill yet
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by Promethius »

Thanks team.
Yes, the username is misspelled: no, I can’t change it.

Andy
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Elm, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by TimIAm »

Ryceman3 wrote: October 8th, 2023, 10:28 am
Promethius wrote: October 7th, 2023, 9:37 pm Has anyone seen similar before? Is it a common problem I should’ve been looking out for?
Hi Promethius,
In short, no I haven’t seen this before. I guess the good news is you managed to identify the culprit and I appreciate the post… something to look out for now/consider should I see anything similar so thanks for the heads up.
:yes: :beer:
Ok, so found another one this morning :evil:

R3, quoting you in because wanting to know if you have any suggestions for what I can use on these young pine seedlings to prevent future attacks? I usually use Pyrethrum spray on my other plants, but I have no real experience with pines.

pne1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

TimIAm wrote: October 9th, 2023, 7:57 am
R3, quoting you in because wanting to know if you have any suggestions for what I can use on these young pine seedlings to prevent future attacks? I usually use Pyrethrum spray on my other plants, but I have no real experience with pines.

pne1.jpg
Hi TimIAm,
Pyrethrum is completely safe to use with pines, I don't think there is any issue with them being seedlings. The picture you posted looks like there are adult needles so I wouldn't have any concern. I use the "long life" version (pic below) but you might get similar results with the regular.
I feel like I need to go check my pines now! :P
:beer:
pyrethrum.jpg
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Nate.bonsai »

I hate these things. Exterminate with extreme prejudice.

I had what was going to be a really nice red pine that was essentially growing on one leader. These vile little caterpillars (or their parents) made little webby nests by folding in the growing pjne needles on the candle tips. They ate the core out of each and all of the tips dried and died, followed by the tree..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Pines and Junipers”