JBP Needles

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
John(JP)
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples & Elms
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

JBP Needles

Post by John(JP) »

I have a JBP of about 15-20 years old which last year(2022) developed "root rot" that I believe was an issue related to the continual wet weather as well as having far too much moss in the pot - needles were starting to get yellow at the top half of the needle and loosing the dark green colour and could quite easily be brushed off the tree.
This is one of four(4) JBP's I have and all four had the same issue to varying extents.
I repotted all into an almost zero organic mix of Akadama, Pumice and Scoria + one scoop of organic after cutting every black root off I could find - I also cut off all the buds(candles) that did exist at that time(approx October22).
I didn't expect any of them to survive but after about 3-4 months of keeping them on the drier side and watering only when needed all of them started to recover - colour changed back to dark green, needles became sharp again as well as tight in the sheath however bud(candle) development has been excellent on one tree, minimal on two but the 15-20 year old and hasn't got any better at all.
Today I checked on the needle tightness/sharpness/colour of this particular tree and found colour and sharpness very good however found that most needles are a little loose in their sheath and while not able to be brushed out can certainly be pulled out without any effort.

Has anybody had similar issues?

John(JP)
CBS
badabing888
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: -

Re: JBP Needles

Post by badabing888 »

Got a photo very hard to tell otherwise
John(JP)
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by John(JP) »

badabing888,

Thank you for the response however I will remove my post for two(2) reasons
Firstly I have a smartphone plus I use a digital camera and Picasa3 on the desktop and have tried on numerous occasions to post a photo to Ausbonsai with absolutely no success - I'm no "tech genius" but the instructions for it are way too complex for me so I guess there's not much going on upstairs.
Secondly I honestly do not think a photo would serve any purpose anyway as the tree in question is visually no different than the the other three I have that are looking very healthy except for the ability to remove needles without any effort.

Bottom line is I will not touch this pine except to monitor it closely and maintain a water and feed regime for the next 6-10 months and go from there.

Regards
John(JP)
CBS
Hanro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Hanro »

Hi John,

It maybe fungal related. Do you use Kocide blue on your pines and junipers.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

I make sure mine get full sun until 3pm (unless it's over 35 deg) - I also strategically place wood slats on top of the pot (bit more hassle hand watering)and around the tree to stop the direct sunshine on the surfaces - everything still gets warm but not cooked
John(JP)
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by John(JP) »

Hanro,
Thanks - I have not as yet used anything but I do have Kocide Blue and have considered giving this tree a bath with it but have withheld simply because of the visual that it doesn't look any different than the healthy ones

John(JP)
CBS

Return to “Pines and Junipers”