Japanese White Pine (1)

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
daiviet_nguyen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Ficuses, Maples, Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: None

Japanese White Pine (1)

Post by daiviet_nguyen »

This is the last white pine that I bought on 7/June/2008 (The Queen birthday holiday),
from Conifer Gardens Nursery. I paid $125.00 for it.

View 1 - 1

View 1 - 2

View 1 - 3

View 1 - 4

It is a grafted stock. The graft is excellent, it was done by the then not-yet-30,
third-generation nurseryman. I was told it had been in the pot for about 6 years.

Follows is the original info attached to it from the nursery:

Pinus parviflora 'Glauca'

A slow growing cultivar of the "Japanese White Pine", with an annual growth
of about 12cm. An excellent garden plant, not likely to outgrow its situation
for many years and easily pruned to an attractive shape while keeping the
plant to size. Beautiful blue coloured foliage. Excellent for rockeries, pots
or Japanese Gardens.

I was attrached to the trunk. My original intention was to cut it right down, just
above the lowest branches; those are the smallest and shortest branches as well,
and regrow from there.

The tree was about 72 cm tall (measured from the pot surface), and the trunk is about
5 cm.

Trunk

After getting it home, I had second thoughts. I did not want to cut it right down as
was the intention when I bought it. I tried to salvage its features, rather than looking
for the smallest possible tree

And so, from the 15/June/2008 to the 21/June/2008 I started on it. And this was the
final result, the height was 58 cm:

View 2 - 1

View 2 - 2

View 2 - 3

View 2 - 4

A typical garden stock, long internodes, long branches etc.

It looked shocking -- to say the least. I knew that I was not happy with this result;
but I was not disappointed, because my original option is still available!

On the 27/August/2008 I repotted it. The root ball was 26 cm in length (the height of
the plastic pot), and it was root-bound!

The potting mix was good, so I was able to loosened up the root-ball fairly easily, and
without loosing too much feeder roots. I was able to almost flatten the root ball. It
was planned nicely into a fruit-box (please see later pictures).

I must say I am very happly with what I found below the soil. Over the months I have
been cut off some roots on the surface. I still have to continue this process in the
future.

After nearly six months looking at it, on the 25/March/2009, I cut off the main trunk.

Cut Off Main Trunk

Everything above the blue line was gone. The longest branch that remains is the future
leader. I guess I went with my original intention after all. However, I had other thoughts
again -- given that I have already wire this future leader down horizontally, I was tempted
with a semi-cascade one; but semi-cascade requires much skill to keep it going; and I am
not convinced that I am up to the task, at least on white pines. So I just left it there.

On the 14/August/2009, I finally decided that it will go up to be a vertical tree. So put
on some grafting tapes to protect the bark, and two 4.5 mm wires and wired it up. I was
too lazy to take pictures of this stage.

On the 05/December/2009, seeing how deep the wire had cut into the new leader, I took all
wires off. By this time, the leader has grown about another 10 cm, and some new heavy
branches on top. So on the 07/December/2009 I wired the leader again with the same two
4.5 mm to protect from the wind.

Eleven days later, on the 18/December/2009, I wired the leader again. The following pictures
were taken on the 02/January/2010:

View 3 - 1

View 3 - 2

View 3 - 3

View 3 - 4

It certainly looks much better than ever before. However, there is still a problem that
makes me very annoyed, from view View 3 - 3, it can be seen that the third node
is long, I feel that it is out of proportion.

My plan presently is to cut everything above the blue line off (again). And the back branch
will be wired up to become a new leader. Closer look of the third node:

Third Node Problem

I am not going ahead with this for the time being. Might be something new ideas will
come -- hopefully.

Would you be able to suggest anthing?

Also the joint between old trunk and current new leader is a problem:

An Ugly Scar

It will leave a big scar and it will look unnatural as well. Might be I could hide it somehow.

Another View of the Trunk

Overall, at this stage, I am happy with how it progresses. I hope that I will be able
to manage its problems and turn it into a nice white pine bonsai.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Re: Japanese White Pine (1)

Post by anttal63 »

good work viet! this one is on its way. amazing what you can do when grafted. i have one grown from seed by paul sweeney, no way i can get away with that much in a short time with out it showing signs of stress. i look forward to what you do with it. :D 8-)
Regards Antonio:
daiviet_nguyen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Ficuses, Maples, Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: None

Post by daiviet_nguyen »

Hi Antonio,

Thank you for the reply. I completely understand what you said about not grafting. If you
noticed in the first pictures, you would see that there are a few (three) seedlings as well.
Although the lady owner did not believe that they are white pine seedlings, but they are.

This tree, when I got it, there were still several big cones. I am too sure if these seedlings
were from it. But one died two days after taken out. One died about four weeks later. I still
have one surviving. It grew about 1 cm since then.

I went to Mr. Paul Sweeney just before he closed shop. I saw a lot of original Japanese white
pines there, very nice ones too. I appreciate them but I did not get any -- for exactly the
same reason that you outlined above.

There is one cultivar of white pine that sounds strong Pinus parviflora 'Zuisho',
Bonsai Today 43, pages 33 to 35 is an article that mentions it root readily from cuttings,
and layering; there is another issue of Bonsai Today that dicusses Pinus parviflora 'Zuisho',
in much more details, but I could not find it yet.

This link also discusses Zuisho.

Regards.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

i do believe my tree and the rest that paul was growing are zuisho. pine masters has photos of foliage from 10 or so varieties. its the closest id i can make out and also may explain why it hasn't died yet in our summers. mine is still very healthy. if any one knows different i would love to know. :D 8-)
Regards Antonio:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Best of luck with the pine. I've tried a few times up here but they just seem to go gradually backwards and finally die. I think it must be our hot summers. I did, however, find that they were relatively easy to strike as cuttings so it is not just 'zushio' that can be struck - at least I don't think it would have been zushio. Perhaps it worked just because I did not know that it could'nt be done.
I have found a few times that published wisdom is not always completely correct so try things even if 'they' say it cannot be done!
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

shibui wrote: January 3rd, 2010, 1:26 pm Best of luck with the pine. I've tried a few times up here but they just seem to go gradually backwards and finally die. I think it must be our hot summers. I did, however, find that they were relatively easy to strike as cuttings so it is not just 'zushio' that can be struck - at least I don't think it would have been zushio. Perhaps it worked just because I did not know that it could'nt be done.
I have found a few times that published wisdom is not always completely correct so try things even if 'they' say it cannot be done!
When do you take cuttings from white pines? I've heard some people say winter, some say spring... I don't have much in the way of white pine stock (though I'm picking up a couple this weekend :D), so I'd rather do it at the best time for success.

Also - anyone have the Zuisho variety for sale that any of you know of? I've been searching around but to no avail yet.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Success with White pine cuttings, like all other pines, is low. Not sure if there is a better time of year. I get occasional results from both late winter, spring and summer cuttings of mature shoots. I have not yet had success with young candles so spring cuttings need to be year old shoots I think but still worth trying all different things to see what works for you under your conditions.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Why not just do air layers you’ll have much better success :imo:
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

KIRKY wrote: April 27th, 2023, 7:11 pm Why not just do air layers you’ll have much better success :imo:
Cheers
Kirky
Definitely going to try both. Air layers for any thicker pieces, cuttings for anything smaller that comes off as I prune.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”