Mallsai Juniper

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Mallsai Juniper

Post by Bretts »

I bought this juniper from Bunnings a few years ago including the rock :) . Being a deciduous lover I got this to work on so I was not so ignorant with conifers but my learning has not progressed much.
I was at this stage last year and after hacking at it I was very disapionted with the result. I have considerd a cascade but I am liking the widswept style at the moment. I like that it looks like a wave.
The photo does it little justice as usual and it is very hard to see any structure. So I want to ask members for any ideas on initial pruning ideas and then I will repost pics that will hopefully show more structure for critique.
juniper front.jpg
This is the tree today in style of pot I copied called a quick pot.
juniper top.jpg
I have this sitting under the verander at the moment were it looks very cool as it is very healthy, even though it has often dried right out. Like the elm I hope to start enjoying the juniper more because they grow so well in our climate. In the last week it has been getting more shade and the foilage has lost some vibrancy.
juniper early1.jpg
These are a couple of earlier ones from a couple of years ago that shows the structure a little better
juniper early2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bretts on February 3rd, 2009, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Re: Mallsai Juniper

Post by Bretts »

Looking back on the post I can add that my main issue is for windswept I must have limited foilage so how can I make this look good and also the outer left branch that pionts against the wind I would like to keep cause I think it looks good but it grows against the wind. I have tried to get some bend in the direction of the wind but this is hard without crossing the trunk or obstructing other branches. I have conceeded by basicly pionting into the wind but keeping shorter!
Last edited by Bretts on February 3rd, 2009, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Sorry Soltan, i cant see any wind in that tree at all! Have you got Robert Steven's book visions of my soul? If not it is worth borrowing a copy if you can and read the section on creating windswept trees.
Regards
Peter
Ps..i am doing a tree this afternoon that i tried to create a windswept style with years ago, gave up and turned it into an informal upright, and now would you believe i am going to try and turn it into a windswept again! Poor tree is getting giddy.. :)
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

soltan wrote:Looking back on the post I can add that my main issue is for windswept I must have limited foilage so how can I make this look good and also the outer left branch that pionts against the wind I would like to keep cause I think it looks good but it grows against the wind. I have tried to get some bend in the direction of the wind but this is hard without crossing the trunk or obstructing other branches. I have conceeded by basicly pionting into the wind but keeping shorter!
nothing wrong with crossing the trunk when ya doin wind swept in fact i reccomend it.;) :D
Last edited by anttal63 on February 3rd, 2009, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Antonio:
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

You have me wanting to prove you Wrong Peter :P That is what this screams to me.

I will consider this alot when I style Antonio ;)
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

I sincerely hope you do Brett, and wish you all the best of luck with it mate. Dont ya love challenges! I will post the tree i mentioned above later if you like and we can go through the expierience together. Windswept is a very difficult style! IMO.
Peter
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Posting your tree will be great. I am looking forward to going through this with ya :) A good windswept is hard I believe.
Challenges are the only way to learn ;)

I enjoyed that although I am no fan of fine wiring as you can see. I think I will be happy to see where this design takes me for a couple more years at least but I look forward to comments :D
juniper restyle1.jpg
juniper restyle top.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Thats a cute little pot your tree is in to Brett. I like it, is it just an off the shelf pot? It looks like a Penny Davis pot.
I have posted my tree here viewtopic.php?f=104&t=621
I didnt want to hijack your thread.
Regards
Peter
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

It's one I made Peter :D Thanks I can't remember who's technique I copied maybe it was Horst or or Dale?

Ohh I was looking forward to your opinion on the windswept. I can take it ;)
I will have a look at your new thread now. I doubt posting your tree would ruin the thread 8-)
Last edited by Bretts on February 3rd, 2009, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

soltan wrote:
It one I made Peter :D Thanks I can't remember who's technique I copied maybe it was Horst or or Dale?

Ohh I was looking forward to your opinion on the windswept. I can take it ;)
I will have a look at your new thread now. I doubt posting your tree would ruin the thread 8-)
Well done Brett, thats a nice glaze, i like it.
Peter
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

Solt, i think this guy grows into the wind too much. I also think that the long top section of the trunk (Its too long to really calss as a branch) is just too long and with little branching else where it doesnt have what it takes to give off the wind swept effect.

I think there is a better option to be had, and should take less time to achieve.
http://www.bonsaieurope.org/photo/main. ... itemId=841
Look at what he is doing with the little one year old junipers.
You gotta twist it, twist it good....
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I definatly class that as the trunk Asus. I was happy to feel good about taking branches of this time instead of just thining them as I realised that it must happen to get the angle on the branches for windswept that I wanted. The challenge with this tree in this style is exactly(what you say) that the trunk grows into the wind at first. I can dream up reasons for this to be the case but I would rather aproach the problem from a balance or artistic direction. I like the two long major "apexes" that head to the right. Like I said it reminds me of a wave. I will wire the main trunk again to get some movement side to side in the top middle section and possibly I may compress the base some time in the future.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Dam do I have to beg for a critique Peter :cry:
The glaze was the easiest part I asked for a dull green and the ladies sugest matt green :D
Last edited by Bretts on February 3rd, 2009, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

soltan wrote:I definatly class that as the trunk Asus. I was happy to feel good about taking branches of this time instead of just thining them as I realised that it must happen to get the angle on the branches for windswept that I wanted. The challenge with this tree in this style is exactly(what you say) that the trunk grows into the wind at first. I can dream up reasons for this to be the case but I would rather aproach the problem from a balance or artistic direction. I like the two long major "apexes" that head to the right. Like I said it reminds me of a wave. I will wire the main trunk again to get some movement side to side in the top middle section and possibly I may compress the base some time in the future.
A windswept tree will grow into the wind to some degree, but not as much as this one does.
I still stand by the option to twist it and do a small shohin drift wood style. I am actually bugging Leigh about finding some for me to purchase so I can do the same thing.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I figure a juniper can grow in many directions so I just can't see this as out of the question. But if you don't like that is fine :)
juniper a.jpg
It is definatly not the first mallsai to be styled like this :D
mini%20juniper%20blue.jpg

Return to “Pines and Junipers”