Mallsai Juniper

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Mallsai Juniper

Post by PeterW »

Ok....The folaige is to lush and still to much of it. You need to develop some primary branches that speak of the wind. I asked previously if you had read Robert Steven's book, have you? To create a believable windswept, you really must first decide on how much wind and with how much force the wind has effected the tree, for example, is it the type of wind you would expect on an ocean cliff so the tree is getting blown all the time. Or is it seasonal wind as in a maple in the valley where it gets wind for six months of the year and therefor the wind has effected the secondary branches a little and tertiary branches even more but not the primary branches are not effected. The viewer must be able to acertain that the wind is blowing and affecting this tree NOW, or alternatively the wind has affected the tree but its not blowing NOW. The nabari should speak the same language also, on a cliff face the tree will send out roots to hold its footing so the wind doesnt simply blow it away. Think of a lady walking in strong wind wearing a dress, where does the wind blow the dress? In an upward direction hey. So the branches being confronted by the wind should bend back on themselves and be in an upwards direction an the branches on the opposite side to the wind should be upwards, but not as much, they should be closer to the horizontal but still slightly upwards.
I would really like it if you could read the book and then we can chat again. It will give you a greater understanding, as he can explain it much better then i can.
Regards
Peter
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

soltan wrote:I figure a juniper can grow in many directions so I just can't see this as out of the question. But if you don't like that is fine :)

Yes they can, but thats not a windswept styled tree.
Peter
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Thanks Peter. I agree there is too much foliage. Some branches are still recovering from last years hacking and others have been starved of light. I have fixed the lack of light issue with this pruning so hopefully I can improve that by next season. I think my fine wiring will take longer to fix though :roll:
I haven't read Stevens book maybe I have taken comments to much to hart but I had classed Steven as a great artist that has trouble explaining how he does it. It is not at my library and I am not close enough to use Canberra club issue if they have one but I will make an effort to get it and get back to you.
My vision of this tree in windswept style is a tree that has possibly either fought against the prevailing winds or a tree that has been around so long the prevailing winds have changed at some point. This could be on a rocky cliff hence downward blown branches. This magnificent windswept is way more than my vision but it still has that impression of either fighting the wind or that something has changed with a major branch heading against the wind befgore it has sucomed.
Windswept-Tree-at-Agious-Georgious.jpg
I will consider the upward motion of the branches in the future but I am not sure I agree there at the moment :?
As for the base I do see a compression on the trunk in the future. The poor old surface roots have copped a batering from erosion so I will have a good look at whats under there in next years repot. I may put it into a pot that will encourage root growth to see if I can improve the base.
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Brett that tree you have posted above is a perfect example of what i was trying to convey. On the left side the branches are growing vertical with a slight inclination to the right and as you move across the tree to the right, the branches on the extreme right are almost horizontal. Looking and that tree i can feel the wind. A really important thing to note also is the grasses growing near it. If we use grasses or any other leafy plant with the setting, make sure it is also affected by the wind or leave it out. If you block out the surronding area in your example you can feel the wind, with the surronding area left in the picture its not so easy, because of the straight upward growth of the grass thats isnt blowing in the wind.
Peter
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

On the left side the branches are growing vertical with a slight inclination to the right
I see a main branch heading to the left and then giving up and curving back to the right. Why did that branch do that?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

Juniper Restyle #1 photo... I really don't feel that the rock has any relationship to the tree. It's just 'there' and keeping a bit of the soil damper. Can you find a rock that will nestle against the trunk at the base and conceal the bit of reverse taper? I think a lower, textured rock could help to bring out design possibilities. At the moment it appears to be overbranched but that could be the photo... it is hard to style from a photo. But I do suggest you play with other rocks and give the rock more meaning in the setting.

And your pot is really lovely and well suits junipers. You did well.
Last edited by MelaQuin on February 4th, 2009, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I got my clay out yesterday and as I feared it has dryed out. I have it soaking up some water I will do a thread on how this pot is made. Like I said it is called the quick and easy pot. It is not hard.

I was thinking the rock looks to big for the tree. My problem is it came with the tree. I know it may sound silly but I know it will bring a smile to my face in 30 years when they are still together. I see it as a challenge to keep all the components and look for a pleasing outcome.
I do appreciate the comments
Thanks
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

soltan wrote: My problem is it came with the tree. I know it may sound silly but I know it will bring a smile to my face in 30 years when they are still together. I do appreciate the comments
Thanks
Oh please Brett! Do you read Mills and Boon as well! ;) :)
Peter
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Post by Jon Chown »

My problem is it came with the tree. I know it may sound silly but I know it will bring a smile to my face in 30 years when they are still together
The problem with this statement is that your face is most probably the only face that it will bring a smile to and thats OK if you are only trying to please yourself, but if your are serious about creating noteworthy bonsai you will have to learn to listen to advice and let go. So far all of the comments that I have read have been true and helpfull, if you are so set in your direction for this Juniper then it is best not to ask for suggestions.

Jon
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I don't thaink that is fair Jon. I have discussed all suggestions well and I have agreed and disagreed in many regards and have stated that I will consider thier thoughts. I have set myself a chalenge to incorporate this tree and rock in the future. I am doing this because I want to. I have agreed that in the current composition it is too big. There is nothing here that I have not listened too there are statements that I have made that have been ignored though.
This is a mallsai and as I stated it is a muck around tree for me so I may not be so ignorant with junipers. I see a windswept here two members do not that is fine. I will continue to ask for critique of my trees and I will listen to all that is said in a more polite manner than others I bet, but that does not mean I have to agree.
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Post by Jon Chown »

Brett, I apologise if you have taken my comments to be a personal attack on yourself as nothing could be further from the truth.

Misunderstandings are so easily made on forums and we must always be mindfull of what we say and how we say it. The message that I was trying to put across was in fact meant not just for yourself but for others reading the thread so please let me explain my thoughts in a slightly different vein.

If I (as a stranger to your home town) came up to you and said 'Can you tell me how to get to the Police station?' and you went to the trouble of explaining the directions only to have me say 'Oh! thanks, thats good, but I want to go this way because I want to drive by the Library.' what would you think about me?

Asking for advice and having your own direction only leads to less replies next time you ask.

I have no problem with you having your own direction with your tree but I guess that I do have an issue when you make this statement:-
So I want to ask members for any ideas on initial pruning ideas and then I will repost pics that will hopefully show more structure for critique.
Again Brett, I am not trying to pick a fight, I hope that you can see the meaning.

Jon
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

He wants to keep the stone.. why cant he keep the stone?
Dont be a Meany pants and let him keep the stone.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Movin on now............
Brett, if you cant get your hands on a copy of the book, let me know and i will scan a page or two for you.
Peter
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Move the bloody great boulder to the opposite side of the tree. So when it grew up it got to the top of the windy rock and started to lean.
Just my two cents worth :roll: :twisted: ;) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

LOL good one Pup. That is something that was sitting in my back thoughts but then I was thinking an even bigger rock. This has led me to thinking it may end up in a group setting one day with his rock next to him :)

The only way I will be getting that book is to buy. That is a great possibility but won't be for a while so if there is a specific section you think will be usefull. Then it would be great if you could scan it for me.

I apreciate all the comments alot that is why I am here. But I still say it is all our poragative to agree or disagree with comments without being scared of persicution. If I was scared of being wrong I might say nothing and that is not going to get us anywere.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”