My Trees

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
sonic976
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Flowering Maple
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: A/W bonsai club

Re: My Trees

Post by sonic976 »

Thanks alpineart i'm looking now. sonic976
sonic976
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sonic976 »

Hi where's wolly007 here is some photos
100_6677.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Taffy »

Hey Sonic, did you sneak another one in - or did Alpine give you an extra one as a bonus? There are eleven trees in that third photo :lol:

You've got some good material there to really get you going. I reckon that with the advice from others here, and even more so with some guidance from Alpine, you're going to develop some really good trees from that lot.

With regards to your Thuja's, The one that isn't looking the best could be from a number of reasons - too much root removed when potted up, too wet, too dry, insect attack plus a heap more reasons. I wouldn't fret over it. If it makes it - great! If it doesn't, then it could be a lesson learned.

I doubt if there is anyone here on Ausbonsai that has been into bonsai for more than a year or two that hasn't had tree die on them - and for some it appears there was no reason for it. I know I've sure killed my fair share over the time I've been doing it. I remember the first one I killed way back before you were born - 1990. It was a prostrate Juniper I got while I was in Darwin. I had absolutely no experience but was so excited about turning it into a cascade, that I did everything wrong. I ripped it out of the black plastic pot, raked all the soil mix off it, hosed the roots till they were spotless, clipped them right back until they fitted in the cascade pot I'd bought for it, potted it up then watched it die over the next month or two. What had I done wrong? Well, for a start off this was in Darwin, in January - the hottest and most humid month, I hosed off all the soil till it was squeaky clean, I clipped the roots back hard - and I didn't remove any of the foliage! When it had finally gone to that big garden in the sky, I pulled it out of the pot and chucked it under a bush just off the veranda. Every so often I'd look at it and say "Mongrel". Not to the tree - it was aimed at me. It was a good lesson learned, but I still kill trees now and again. It's all part of the learning experience - and as long as you can learn from your failures then it can only benefit you in your journey through the world of Bonsai.
Regards

Taffy.
sonic976
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sonic976 »

Hi Tman , 1 was a bonus .I have trimmed 2 more , shaped and styled . :D Alpine helped me see the tree within , I will post next time I visit .
Thanks sonic976
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Taffy »

Good on you Sonic - looking forward to seeing them.
Regards

Taffy.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

G'day Sonic and welcome to AusBonsai!

I'm really impressed by your Thuja that you have grown from seed. I wish I had some trees that I had grown from seed when I was younger. It must be very satisfying to see them become credible bonsai.
I'm look forward to watching as your skills and collection grow over the years.

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
sonic976
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sonic976 »

Thanks Steven one of the Thuja's died .I have planted more seeds and trimmed some more starters and wired 2 more . Thanks sonic976
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Taffy »

Pics please Sonic :D
Regards

Taffy.
sonic976
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sonic976 »

Hi Tman here is some photos of my flowering maple Chinese elm and crab apple I'll do more on the weekend . Thanks Sonic976
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sonic976 on November 24th, 2010, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Hi Sonic 976, :wave: I would really like to see an update on your trees if possible?... including your Abulitons, pines , maples and elms, crab apples and the two Thuja Orientals that you grew from seed that you collected and wired up. Well done mate and keep up the great work!! :fc: :hooray:
Up to you which ones you choose to update, but personally I would love to see them all!
Thanks very much, Dario. :)

Return to “Pines and Junipers”