Juniper Bonsai PLEASE HELP

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
wudyl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: fat trunks and aerial roots
Bonsai Age: 0

Juniper Bonsai PLEASE HELP

Post by wudyl »

Hello everyone i have a unstyled japanese juniper bonsai that i have no idea what to do with. i have attached a photo of it below (sorry bout the lousy quality) Im new to bonsai training so im very open to all suggestions. Its really healthy and has almost tripled in size in the last 6 months. My labrador rocko has got it off the table twice so its had two new pots in the last 6months as well. :) Thanks for helping me out :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wudyl on February 7th, 2009, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Juniper Bonsai PLEASE HELP

Post by PeterW »

Hey wudyl, welcome to AB. You will need to get a better picture up first mate. After you have done that, fill in your profile with some information so people can give you better advise. For now, just keep the dog away would be good. :)
Peter
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hector Johnson »

First, buy some snail bait and put it on the soil. That should fix the dog problem.

Then, get some good bonsai fertiliser and put it around the tree, to grow it a fair bit bigger.
Then, as I said on your last post, go and do a course. The trees you are buying are not, sadly, bonsai as yet.

Learn the basics and how to keep trees alive then get hold of a couple of trees that are hard to kill (Figs and Junipers) and learn more about it.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

I agree with the previous posts about learning a bit more and going to a bonsai nursery and getting into a bonsai club.

Comments on this tree... remove the lower left branch.. it is seldom recommended that a bonsai goes in two different directions and the main focus of the plant is movment along the main branch to the right. The left branch is a bit low to be left on as a sacrifice branch [an unnecessary branch that is positioned to increase the size of the main trunk before it is removed] and will only leave an ever larger scar. If you remove it you will direct more of the plant's energy to the top and develop that. The tree looks as tho it needs some food but remember your dog and never feed a tree in the first 6 weeks after repotting.

If your dog likes mauling your trees it could be a good idea to get a different hobby. It would be horrid if you were developing a really nice bonsai and came home to discover it was on the ground, dry roots and minus all the well styled branches. I like dogs but NOT around my trees.
wudyl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: fat trunks and aerial roots

Post by wudyl »

Haha rockos a bit more grown up ow he doesnt eat trees anymore not since he tried the chilli tree. now he leaves my whole garden alone.
thanks for the hints guys i put the port jackson fig in a big box i made and cut all the leaves off. still have nt decided what to do with the juniper.
its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice
63pmp
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by 63pmp »

This looks like a j. procumbens nana to me; not a japanese juniper, which I think of as shimpaku.

J. procumbens like to grow long and thin, which is why they are used as ground covers. Feed them lots and let them grow, chop the leaders back in early spring, some people suggest pruning in autumn . They also like to grow horizontally, if you choose a small branch close to the trunk that grows upright chop back to that so you can develop a more natural movement in the trunk, leave a longish stub for jinning. People often wire a leader upwards but often it becomes the dreaded "S" shape, were as cutting and growing gives a more natural trunkline.

Paul

edited due to some self doubt. I have pruned in autumn and the tree died, so now I am pruning in early spring before the sap rises. Anyone else have any input on this.
Last edited by 63pmp on February 12th, 2009, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The older I get, the less I know"
alfaphilly (banned)
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea,maples
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: bonsai school north rocks

Post by alfaphilly (banned) »

Better quality picture needed.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”