500 critique

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

500 critique

Post by Pup »

For my 500th post I thought I would give you something special. It seems we all like to say what we would if it were mine.
Well here are two of mine. The Juniperus procumbens nana.
I have been training for 8 years now. It was posted on another site 12 months ago. It was at stage in recovery from an attack of Phoma. A fungal problem that attacks procumbens.
It stops the foliage from developing properly thus leaving it susceptible to insect attack which will kill the tree. Treated with a copper based fungicide it will get over it with out to many problems.

The second is a Juniperus sargentii (shimpaku ) it is a struck cutting of 10 years. It has been in training for 5 years.
I will not ask you to be gentle just have fun. So start critiquing. 8-) ;) :roll: :lol: :P Pup
P1020312.JPG
P1020314.JPG
P1020316.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: 500 critique

Post by kcpoole »

Nice trees Pup

I like the view on the second pic for the procumbens better than the first one. The way it just covers the trunk adds depth.

On this tree though I woudl reduce the foliage considerably as for a Literati I think it is too "full". Maybe event reduce the top, completely Removing the Apex Foliage group.

The Shimp I think the Lower left Branch deeds to be allowed to lengthen somewhat. Aside from that i like it a lot

ken

ps Congrats on becoming a 500 member
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Dave54
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Nil

Post by Dave54 »

Hi Pup,
A critique on the Procumbens for what it is worth and by this you will realize I have a reputation for being ruthless.

1).... Remove all foliage from the top and leave the angle as in the 1st photo
2).... Shorten and define all remaining pads to make it look as though it has had a tough life
3).... A bit more "shari" down the RHS trunk
4).... Jin the branches in the top section

You now have a windswept, freeform literati !!!

Of course, design by photo could be different than if I saw the tree in the flesh
cheers
Dave
Last edited by Dave54 on February 12th, 2009, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

I am not sure I would remove the top but I definitely agree to thinning the foliage to a more literati feel. Also, the sprig over the trunk marries the foliage and the trunk better than the foliage merely being 'suspended' from the top of the trunk.

Oddly enough I have a very similar juniper with a similarly curving trunk, jin and the falling foliage. I am having difficulty doing the final styling tweeking to get it to be at its best so it is good to see this tree and mentally set it up against mine.

Nice bonsai...
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

I like the Juni Procumbens Pup. I think it needs some thinning out as well. I tried to do a Vert for ya but the image is too small and its pretty hard to do a vert on bunjin typed trees (for me it is anyway). I dont much care for the Sargents but i do like the trunk line. It has nice movement, just a bit hard to tell with such a small image.
Regards
Peter
Congrats on the 500th post Pup.
Jarrod
Treat em mean
Treat em mean
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society and Bonsai Society of Victoria

Post by Jarrod »

I like the procumbens, but i would lean it 10 degree to the right in photo, hopefully bringing the roots and shari into balance a little more (forgive me if it is ok hard to see in the photo) this would bring the apex into a slightly more "balanced" feel above the roots, thin it out but develop it into a more domed head with the three foilage pads spreading to the left under it.

The Shims a hard one, there is too much weakness inthe second branch on the left to warrant the removal of the first branch as a jin, but if you can get it to develop i would take the first branch off and lean it slightly to the left (10 degrees) in order to set the movement of the first right branch.

Im only new to this so I hope people understand what I am saying, and i would love to own either of these trees for myself.
Jarrod

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em green.
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Post by Jon Chown »

Pup, congratulations on your 500th post and thank you for sharing your knowledge of Aussie Natives we are learning so much from your continued contributions.

As to critiquing these trees, I'm with Dave and find it difficult to offer much from the photos provided except to say that I like the Juniperus sargentii (shimpaku ) and agree with previous comments with regard to the foliage on the left side. Have you ever considered grafting some branches closer in on the lower left branch?

Jon

Return to “Pines and Junipers”