Who is growing Pinus radiata (Monterey Pine)?

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
SteveT
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine
Bonsai Age: 15

Re: Who is growing Pinus radiata (Monterey Pine)?

Post by SteveT »

Beautiful trees Hohn. I'm looking forward to seeing mine develop mature bark like yours.

Can I ask how long these trees have been in training?

Steve
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

Finally got my radiata finished today, completely thinned and wired out.
This tree was collected in the mid-70s by Nef Saffin and styled at a John Naka workshop, he undercut and lowered the branches which was pretty revolutionary in those days. I bought it 16 years ago and it had lots of big flat branches, I cut each branch back to the first sub branch and have re-grown them with more downwards movement.
It is a bit over 1m tall
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Craig, I really love the bark texture and subtle movements of the slanting trunk on this tree.

Cheers.
Mojo
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

Nice skeletal branches Craig it's going to be nice and dense when your done.

Nice pot too, maker?
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by craigw60 »

Thanks Mojo, this tree has always been full of compromises and will continue to be, it seriously lacks taper and the branch placements are dubious to say the least however now its getting some age and the bark is becoming beautiful enough to compensate for its numerous faults.
Hi Scott, pruning like this back as hard as I can is an annual event and is necessary to maintain the vigour of the internal growth. With regards to the pot I don't know who made it. The tree has been in this pot since I have known it close to 30 years, I recently purchased a nice big drum pot and may move it onto that at the next re-potting, it is much more suited to a round pot I think.
Craigw
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

craigw60 wrote:Hi Scott...With regards to the pot I don't know who made it. The tree has been in this pot since I have known it close to 30 years, I recently purchased a nice big drum pot and may move it onto that at the next re-potting, it is much more suited to a round pot I think.
Craigw
Agreed, a round pot would suit this tree better, I just like the shape of the current one.

I think the size is right though, definitely post some pics after repotting.
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by craigw60 »

This is the time of year I prune my radiata pines. I find they are starting to set buds now which will develop over the winter and into early spring. The trees have been fed heavily all summer.
I shorten all the candles back by half or further if really strong and pinch the tips off the weaker shoots, bud select on the tips and reduce all growths to only 2 at any one point, cut off the needles above and especially underneath the branches and look for every opportunity to shorten the branches without compromising the ramification.
By mid to late spring this tree will be covered in new growth
Craigw
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Booga
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: acer
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Booga »

I am. Nice looking tree there Craig, thats a formal upright am I right.. I like the tapered trunk and the droop in the branches to show some age.
I would like to see some shots of the side to see the branches that you have filled the gaps with, especially in the bottom left because it looks to be pointing towards the viewer which they say is not good! I will have to look through this thread If I haven't already :palm: Loooks like a good one :tu:
AC/DC died with Bon, And I am on the hwy to hell too...
teamak
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedars, Pines, Maples
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by teamak »

that does look like a nice radiata craig, the nebari looks interesting, have you got any plans for it? :yes:
DISCLAIMER: All thoughts and opinions expressed in this post herein have been, unless otherwise stated, contributed by an individual without much experience in Bonsai. As such, with this in consideration the above stated expressions should, and are hereby recommended to be, taken with a grain of salt.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

Craig
I love your large radiata, everytime i see it in the flesh i drool :worship: :worship: :worship:
Handy Mick
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all species
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai society, Southern Highlands Bonsai Group

Post by Handy Mick »

Craig can you show some closer pictures of the needle work you have done? I have quite a few Radiata with some good movement, but I want to learn more about Radiata and their needle techniques.
There was some discussions today at our meeting about using some material in our own area, one of our members brought his Radiata and this was discussed.

Thanks
Mick
Visit my website http://www.handy-mick.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow my page on Facebook. Southern Highlands Handy Mick
PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Next project

Post by PeterH »

This is one I have had since 1998. It was my very first dig tree in my early days of Bonsai.

Peter
rudy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pine

Post by rudy »

Craig,

Magnificent Radiata.

When you say you cut the candles do you mean the new shoots. I also pruned my pines last week but no candles. My undersanding of candles is the long candle thing that is yet to open that you snap of. Mine just had heaps of new shoots that had to be reduced to two, it gets it's "candles" in it's spring growth.

I also pruned the growth back in the first half of Dec 2011. The year before last same deal, prune in Dec and March. Did you do yours back about then also.

ALso interested in what your feeding it and how often

Again a beatifull tree and hope to see more of it.

Regards
Rudy
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by craigw60 »

I have been growing this tree for 25 years and 20 years in a bonsai pot so it has been a very long slow process. My plans for it are more of the same, feeding wiring, pruning and potting.
All my trees get the same fert. regime across the board. Weekly feeds of seasol power feed and a monthly application of campbels organic plus which contains fish meal, seaweed extract, blood and bone and dynamic lifter.
By pruning I mean cutting the new shoots back leaving only a couple of bunches of needles.During the growing season I pinch out the strongest shoots with my fingers.
Matthew, by the time you are my age you will have a lot of pines which should be much better than mine
Peter that is a lovely tree
Here's a close up of the branches
Craigw
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: A realy good one :D

Post by Olivecrazy »

WOW some nice pines ive seen in this forum me want one :lol: wrong time to go dig some up but will give them a go soon :tu:

Return to “Pines and Junipers”