Juniper progression

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Juniper progression

Post by PeterW »

This Juniper was purchased in june 2007 specifically to take to a Robert Steven workshop. It was such a healthy tree and had so much foliage i wasnt entirely confident that i could do what i wated to do with it, i thought maybe i would kill it in the process! Fortunately the grower had produced a great fiberous root system, very few big heavy roots and after the first styling i managed to get it into a pot quite easily. I had a plan when i took the tree to the workshop and had it sketched out ready to go to work on it, Robert Steven thought that my plan was ok but explaned to me the reason behind my idea was wrong. I wanted all the seperate apex's like my sketch and have a very manicured look to it. He explained to me that the juniper shouldnt look like that and was better to have a much more sparse look to it. I agreed to that in principle but was only prepared to go so far with it. After lots of discussion, i agreed to thin it out quite heavily and am glad i did. I have let it get more foliage again then was discussed back then but i figure that i can always thin it more if i so desire. I had taken the wire off to soon and a few branches over time dropped again so this week i rewired them.
I am not happy with the top of the tree but the rest i am happy enough with. I am going to look at the planting angle more closely next repot, i am not totally happy with that either yet. I also want to do some more work to the jins and maybe some shari to an area that was some inverse taper.
Peter
Sketch design.jpg
Juniper 06.jpg
Juniper 05.jpg
Juniper 04.jpg
Juniper 03.jpg
Juniper 02.jpg
Juniper 01.jpg
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Juniper progression

Post by Hector Johnson »

Message Deleted
Last edited by Hector Johnson on March 2nd, 2009, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

very nice pete certainly coming along! :D
Regards Antonio:
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Post by Jon Chown »

Peter thats looking excellent, I'll have to make an appointment to have a discussion about one of mine about this size.

Jon
PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Next project

Post by PeterH »

Peter

What type of camera are you using

Peter
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

PeterH wrote:Peter

What type of camera are you using

Peter
Hi Peter,
Its a canon EOS 350D, Digital SLR and if you can teach me how to drive the thing i would be eternally grateful! I can only use it on automatic as i have absolutely no idea as to what the other settings and things do! I keep promising myself i will do a course or something on photography but just never get around to it.

Regards
Peter
PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Next project

Post by PeterH »

Hi Peter

I will start another thread on what I do. I hope it will help.

Peter
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Thanks Peter that would be great.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”