Mugo Pine - Initial Styling Help

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
aikijooji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: None

Mugo Pine - Initial Styling Help

Post by aikijooji »

Hi all,

My brother purchased this nursery stock mugo pine for me a few months ago as got more and more in bonsai. Little did I know that pines seem to be a bit difficult for the wee beginner like myself, compared to the junipers I have. I had pruned some branches off and wired some a while back....Bad mistake!!!! I should have just left it until I had a better idea of what i was doing, instead of just mutilating it.

So here I am, hoping that some of you may be able to instill some your wisdom and expertise into me (and my tree) :fc:
Any help would very much be appreciated.
Thanks
George
Mugo.jpg

Also this is something that I envisioned in my mind. Feel free to comment or recommend anything else.
Possible future.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Sirre
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers,Elms,Trident Maples,Pines,Natives
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Mugo Pine - Initial Styling Help

Post by Chris Sirre »

aikijooji wrote:Hi all,

My brother purchased this nursery stock mugo pine for me a few months ago as got more and more in bonsai. Little did I know that pines seem to be a bit difficult for the wee beginner like myself, compared to the junipers I have. I had pruned some branches off and wired some a while back....Bad mistake!!!! I should have just left it until I had a better idea of what i was doing, instead of just mutilating it.

So here I am, hoping that some of you may be able to instill some your wisdom and expertise into me (and my tree) :fc:
Any help would very much be appreciated.
Thanks
George
Mugo.jpg

Also this is something that I envisioned in my mind. Feel free to comment or recommend anything else.
Possible future.jpg
Hi aikijooji,

I think the idea of your drawing is not a bad start especially for a beginner. Not many beginners think like that so the way you think outside the square is a great start. Good luck and enjoy.

Cheers,

Chris Sirre
aikijooji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: None

Post by aikijooji »

Would anyone know when the best time is to cut back some of the trunk?
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Craig »

:gday: George, if your still heading towards the tree in your drawing, then i wouldn't worry about cutting it back just yet, Rather i would be thinking about slipping it into a much deeper pot to grow on for a few more years,,, :2c: good luck mate

Return to “Pines and Junipers”