Something for Soltan. Taxodium

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Something for Soltan. Taxodium

Post by Grant Bowie »

Here is a pic of something deciduous for Soltan.
RIMG0114.JPG
RIMG0095.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leigh Taafe
Maverick
Maverick
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: NBPCA

Re: Something for Soltan. Taxodium

Post by Leigh Taafe »

Hi Grant,

She looks abit brown mate - is she okay?

Leigh.

(Just kidding :lol: )
Cheers,
Leigh.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Very Nice Grant. That is about the best if not the best one of these I have seen. Maybe I have seen a more massive flare and taper but The overall finish is as good as I have seen. Was the carving mainly to do with reducing the trunk chop taper. If so It worked very well. I am keen to try one of these but I was not keen on drastic taper at the chop that I had seen in younger specimens. If this is the result I am looking forward to trying one.
Thanks for posting. ;)
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

The Taxodium was cut back at around 80cm above its base with a flat straight accross cut(28 years ago). A single leader was selected and trained to be the apex but about 3 or 4 years later I turned the tree 180 degrees, carved out the tree from top to bottom and brought the apex forward. This has become common practice for me; using a back branch as the apex because. to me, it gives depth and movement.

Yes the carving was to hide the small scar left at the top but I now know it would have healed over anyhow.The tree is exceedingly vigorous and I have had to recarve it a nuber of times over the years or the front would have completely healed over by now. The branches were almost dislocated at the join to the trunk to get the sharp downward slant.

The picture is about 5 years old and I need to take a new one. The tree is even bigger and fatter now.

I used to sit it in water but have not done so for about 18 years as I found it was not necessary.

And as you can probably gather Taxodium, both Swamp and Montezuma varieties, are some of my most favorite trees and a favorite demo tree as you can really do something dramatic on the day with a deciduous tree.

Grant
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

Grant Bowie wrote: And as you can probably gather Taxodium, both Swamp and Montezuma varieties, are some of my most favorite trees and a favorite demo tree as you can really do something dramatic on the day with a deciduous tree.

Grant
I have a weeping variety. I should show you one day.
Young and hostile but not stupid.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”