Ground grown JBP..and natures pruning.

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Ground grown JBP..and natures pruning.

Post by bodhidharma »

I did root work on this JBP yesterday. I was working solo and keeping it upright to work on was difficult. Any, its history is that it was planted into the ground in a poly box and let its roots extend through the poly box into the ground below. I have done this before and it makes lifting them easy. I had this planted over a large flat rock to keep the base shallow and all this planning had worked a treat as the piccys show. I left it on the potting and root working bench on its side when a gust of wind dropped it on its head and snapped the leader i had been working on for the last three years. So nature has decided on a new leader for me and i will carry on. :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bodhidharma on September 5th, 2011, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Ground grown JBP..and natures pruning.

Post by bodhidharma »

Sorry, had to add more piccys
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Bonsai imitates life yet again Bodhi. Nature gives, nature takes away.

That is a decent trunk you have built there. Bodhi, how long did it take to get to that caliper and did it go into the styro as a young tree or was it more mature stock when you acquired it?

Cheers,
Mojo
Last edited by Mojo Moyogi on September 5th, 2011, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Mojo Moyogi wrote:Bonsai imitates life yet again Bodhi. Nature gives, nature takes away.
Nice, i like that Moj. How very appropriate. :yes:
Mojo Moyogi wrote: That is a decent trunk you have built there. Bodhi, how long did it take to get to that caliper and did it go into the styro as a young tree or was it more mature stock when you acquired it?
It was in an 8" pot. Probably 20mm across. This tree was fed and had my compost (mostly kitchen waste ) and dug in regularly around it and has taken four years to achieve this trunk.
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by NathanM »

wow, that's an awesome trunk for 4 years man :D Excellent work!! :D
It maybe a blessing in disguise having the top knocked off.... You might make an even shorter tree now :)
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

NathanM wrote:It maybe a blessing in disguise having the top knocked off.... You might make an even shorter tree now
Actually it limited my options but necessity is the mother of invention and i will wait and see what it does over the next few years.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Bodhi ,that is a very nice trunk , i think this is more than an "oh bugger" moment thats for sure . With September our windy month up here , i will be securing mine before any accidents happen .Cheers Alpine

Return to “Pines and Junipers”