First phoenix graft

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Jak
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese deciduous
Bonsai Age: 1

First phoenix graft

Post by Jak »

Hey all,
This is my first attempt at a Tanuki, so go easy on me. Took 5 hrs with a drill and file, wasnt easy haha. Ive used 2 young junipers, and just wired them in place. until they have a bit of thickness about them, then ill screw em in the appropriate bends.
Before
Front close up
Front
Side
close up
left hand juniper is wired for both horizontal branch and apex ( sorry for the crap quality photos), looking forward to hearing your advice/ criticism.

Cheers Jak
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: First phoenix graft

Post by alpineart »

Hi Jak , there is a reason for using advanced stock for Phoenix Graft of Tanuki . You efforts are heading in the right direction however it will take years to develop a tiny junper into a fused graft . Advance junipers are well developed and can easily be trained onto driftwood or interesting mediums . Even 5 year old Junipers may take another 5 years to actually fuse in place or grow enough foliage to be a workable specimen . Markets are good for finding advanced stock for as low as $5 tube stock can be purchased for $2 at most nurseries but they require a couple of years to get some growth happening . You need plenty of branching and a good trunk for the starter and allow it to grow on untrimmed for a season or two to thicken the set trunks/branches into the grooves . Good effort all the same .

Cheers Alpineart
Jak
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese deciduous
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: First phoenix graft

Post by Jak »

alpineart wrote:Hi Jak , there is a reason for using advanced stock for Phoenix Graft of Tanuki . You efforts are heading in the right direction however it will take years to develop a tiny junper into a fused graft . Advance junipers are well developed and can easily be trained onto driftwood or interesting mediums . Even 5 year old Junipers may take another 5 years to actually fuse in place or grow enough foliage to be a workable specimen . Markets are good for finding advanced stock for as low as $5 tube stock can be purchased for $2 at most nurseries but they require a couple of years to get some growth happening . You need plenty of branching and a good trunk for the starter and allow it to grow on untrimmed for a season or two to thicken the set trunks/branches into the grooves . Good effort all the same .

Cheers Alpineart
Hey mate,
Thanks heaps for your advice, everywhere i read said something different, either seedlings or matured Juniper which have been shaped to the driftwood roughly before grafting. I couldn't get either of those stages at the nurseries up here, so this was the only way :), It's good to know roughly how long im looking at, itll be a slow 5 years just positioning the trunk/ branches not so much the fusing of the trunk. Cant wait to buy a gouge and proper drill bits for my next piece :p. Cheers for your time, Ill post some more pics once it has some real growth.
Jak

Return to “Pines and Junipers”