Japanese Black Pine

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Japanese Black Pine

Post by alpineart »

This was purchased back in 2010 From Shibui Nursery Yackandanda , believe it or not it was and is my first Japanese Black Pine apart from my 4 for $40 trees purchased a year or so earlier .I don't know how old it is but the moment i clapped eyes on it i had to have it . The movement in the trunks was exceptional under the cover of the needles
100_5859.jpg
I re-potted it the moment i arrived home and a few weeks after not knowing jack about JBP'S i visited Mathew {Noah78} inspired by his pics and wanting to introduce myself to a Banana Bender come Mexican and welcome him to the Nth East Victorian Region .The next day i hit the tree with the cutters and placed some wire on the branches , not too hard , didn't want to kill the bugger
100_5862.jpg
.Due to some serious injuries of late , ruptured disc , broken, leg and now plenty of spare time to sit around and watch the world go by, i thought i would work this over again .Removing around 50 % of the needles and un-wanted shoots its well on its way to becoming a very nice Bonsai trainer .Mind you getting around is bloody hard work but i cant lay around and watch all my plants die .Yep still got 2 arms 2 feet and a heart beat , but now their just not playing ball .Something like this should take a couple of hours this has taken me a full day and some .
100_8992.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Japanese Black Pine

Post by alpineart »

100_9009.jpg
The decision has finally been made as to the front of the tree, for now anyway , the inarch grafted branch has set well ..Finished height is around 550mm with a base at ground level of 80mm , possibly 100mm plus once the re-pt and base is exposed . So Impressed with the trunk movement i think i may have to get someone to take e over over to Yackandanda to pick up a couple more .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alpineart on October 31st, 2011, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waltron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV VNBC

Post by Waltron »

G'day Alpineart,
Maybe I'm going crazy, but is that scoria in your mix?
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Waltron,

Mate your not nuts , its all i use blended 10mm minus soft red scoria sieved and washed with aged composted pine bark added, All my bonsai and trainers are in the same mix .Deciduous , Evergreen, Pines , Junpers and now Natives . Even my grow beds have a content of the fines removed from the bonsai mix . I have never used any commercial bonsai blend or recommended product and have no intentions of .It doesn't deteriorate and every year i wash out the fines and add some more pine bark when re-potting . 2000 plants cant be wrong .

.Cheers Alpineart
Last edited by alpineart on October 31st, 2011, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
siddhar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine,Cedar,Maple, Elm

Post by siddhar »

You're a legend Alpine, always thinking outside the square. What a great way to save time and money.

I've seen commercial Bonsai mix advertised on average at $18 a bag, and this stuff cant be re-used.
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be like water, my friend.”

Regards, Sidd.
Waltron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: BSV VNBC

Post by Waltron »

10mm minus soft red scoria... :lost:
I've been thinking of using scoria for a couple of years now but haven't managed to source any suitable (fine enough) for soil. Do you buy it in bags or by the tonne/cubic metre, and who provides it? ...I want scoria, scoria, sccorrriiiaaaaaaaaa (throwing tantrum)

By the way that's a nice pine, looks like Shibui produces nice stock.
Take care.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Siddhar , not a legend mate just couldn't afford to replace 3 cubic meters of bonsai mix every year or so . Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Waltron , the scoria is crushed about 20 klms out of Melbourne up the Hume Freeway .The Victorian product is the best i've found , cost wise from a nursery is around $85 per cubic meter and the aged pine bark i collect from the pine logging collection sites in the local plantations . Its usually about 4-5 years old , to fresh and the sap/resin is not a good thing in a pot , sticks like shari to a blanket and wont drain freely .

Nursery pine bark unless stated aged is no good ,orchid blend should be O.K . Our local pine mill sends thousands of tonnes of fresh bark around the country however some of this is sold as aged pine bark , slightly misleading and not recommended for my bonsai .The 10mm minus scoria sieved and washed into the grow beds through 30 %shade cloth and an 8mm sieve works on all species .This usually ends up as a 2-7mm blend . In extreme hot weather i use sand trays or wet beds to maintain the moisture or humidity which ever is required .

As for Shibui's stock ,when your on a good thing stick too it . Cant say i have purchased anywhere else in the form of pre Bonsai

Cheers Alpineart
Last edited by alpineart on October 31st, 2011, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

A quick update as of today , i trimmed this yesterday
SANY0245.JPG
to allow some light into the center of the tree.
SANY0246.JPG
It is progressing well
SANY0247.JPG
and is due for a repot in winter
SANY0248.JPG
Somehow the inarch graft has been dislodged , hopefully it can fuse back or a thread graft will be used to rectify the void .

Cheers Alpineart
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

That is progressing nicely Alpine :tu2: I would imagine pic no 3 would be your preferred front :?: You are pricking my conscience to get to work on mine. :palm:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

By trimmed, do you mean cut all the needles?
The Hacker
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by The Hacker »

Hi Alpine

That dose look very good & should turn in2 a very nice tree over time :cool:

Regard's The Hacker
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

bodhidharma wrote:That is progressing nicely Alpine :tu2: I would imagine pic no 3 would be your preferred front :?: You are pricking my conscience to get to work on mine. :palm:
Hi Bodhi , i think your right on the preferred front , i have a few hundred pines that need a major work over so i guess this is the best opportunity to get it done .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Scott Roxburgh wrote:By trimmed, do you mean cut all the needles?
Hi Scott , i trimmed all the needles and trimmed and pinched the buds on the stronger shoots to divert the energy to the lesser area's and improve back budding .Needle plucking above and below the branches and shoots was also done . There is one major branch that snapped last year , while it has healed it hasn't back budded and only has growth at the very end , this was tip pruned also .

Cheers Alpineart
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

[quote="The Hacker"]Hi Alpine

That dose look very good & should turn in2 a very nice tree over time :cool:

Regard's The Hacker

Hi Hacker , a couple of seasons has seen it progress well , a repot into a 600mm oversize pot should give it some serious root run which should do the whole tree the world of good .

Cheers Alpine

Return to “Pines and Junipers”