Japanese Black Pine

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
The Hacker
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine
Bonsai Age: 30

Re: Japanese Black Pine

Post by The Hacker »

Hey There Alpine

Can please refrain from using the word Hack, Hacking Or Hacker in any of your post's as The "Word" Hacker, is mine all mine & not to be used willy nilly :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regard's The HACKER
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Bretts wrote:I have read through the thread in bits and pieces several times trying to understand what you are doing differently Alpine and I am still not sure I understand so please correct me where I am wrong.
Firstly it seems you are not following any seasonal programme but just doing things when it seems right.

Its hard to follow a seasonal program when in 10 years we have had our Hottest and driest and wettest and coldest Springs , Summers and Autunms for many years

But at this time of year, instead of plucking the needles you are cutting them.

Candles are snapped back when they alongate ,why waste energy allowing candles to fully extend only to cut them off . The Needles are trimmed after they congest and selectively plucked early in the growing season be it Spring or early Summer , possibly late Summer if its a cold slow season .

Thirdly at this time of year you are shortening the candles (what Boon would normally do in mid Summer) as well as selectively removing buds/candles/branches.
In late summer early Autunm i cut the needles back harder again and selectively remove the unwanted needles again and any unwanted candles and branches which may have been missed the previous season . I'm not working on 1 or 2 pines but 1 or 2 hundred , no staff or hired help here , i do miss a few buds or candles and remove the odd branch

If this is so I see needle cutting as similar to plucking but maybe a little less harsh and decandling again this time of year as more harsh that what boon suggests. Overall in a climate that you would expect the pine to flourish in then this could bring on faster results? Maybe that is worth a try as much as we say you should try the method Boon teaches?

Bretts , like i said there is plenty of people obviously trying Boons Method and soils and a few other guru's or Masters works , but like the dynamic fig growing method , show me some results . Don't rave how good these things are if you don't or aren't prepared to show some serious results you have applied here in our growing conditions as our season is a heck of a lot longer than most countries , California may come close .

They say you can't collect pines bare rooted "rubbish" , you cant defol a Japanese Maple 3- 4 -5 times in a season "Rubbish" you cant improve reverse taper by trunk slashing , "Rubbish" you cant increase basel fliar by trunk slashing "Rubbish" pines only need re-potting about every 5 years , "Rubbish" cant grow bonsai in scoria "Rubbish".I can and still do , and i can assure you a lot of the old timers in Australia long before me and the internet used methods most have never seen .

The method and timing i use works on Pinus Nigra Austriaca now i'm trying it on my Japanese Black Pine ,yes this is only one tree , we will have to wait 4-5 years to get the other 50-60 odd up to this size ready for this or Boon's Method , wrong or right i will continue until i have a complete failure or a tremendous result . It looks promising either way i will have learned something , in the mean time i hope to see some results of this Boon method followed by the so called seasons . I see so many topics referring to it , but no pics to show the great results . Do you have any to show :?: , I've seen 1 tree that didn't look much different in 2 years considering all the rave about this method .

Anyone can buy a developed tree and state this is the result of growing hydroponic Bonsai using turtle eggs as a medium .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

The Hacker wrote:Hey There Alpine

Can please refrain from using the word Hack, Hacking Or Hacker in any of your post's as The "Word" Hacker, is mine all mine & not to be used willy nilly :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regard's The HACKER
Hi Mr Hacker , i have been hacking and chopping and using these terms on my plants longer than you have registered and copyrighted the name sake :clap: .Cheers hacker and chopping Alpineart
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Sorry Alpine but I am firstly simply trying to work out what it is you are doing? As I said I am a little confused what the actual technique is you are suggesting?
But I have shown various pines that in my opinion have shown great results using the method Boon advocates (I can't imagine a pine budding back any better) as well as fast growth figs :D
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest

Post by Jow »

The most important thing with pines is to grow them with a plan for their future. What ever method you use (and there are many that produce results for different people in different climates) it has to applied in a consistent manner mindful of the trees health, growth patterns and it's proposed future image.

What ever the technique is is really irrelevant if the results are good.

Happy growing.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Bretts , pop up the link mate , i have obviously missed your topics .

Hi Jow , i am very consistant with my methods and ferts even with so many plants .But one thing is for sure i don't do it too a timetable as Mother nature cant work to that time table with all the Human interference in the climate change . I get the results i am looking for and better in some cases .Everything here has been neglected for the last 5 months but i will have to work a little harder over a longer period now to pull it in .

Cheers Guys
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple & pines
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Post by Luke308 »

alpineart wrote:Hi Bretts , pop up the link mate , i have obviously missed your topics .
Cheers Guys
viewtopic.php?f=104&t=2135
viewtopic.php?f=131&t=11410
WHERE THE SAP FLOWS, THE WOOD GROWS
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Thanks Luke , i had a gander , consistency is something i strive for .

Cheers Alpine
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

:lost:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Bretts , i'm scratching my head trying to work out how these to topics relate to the Boon Method or have anything to do with my topic , a nice trunk with sacrifice branches and some 3 year old seedling , where's all this magic growth and ramafication :?: Maybe these aren't the topics you were referring too . :whistle:

Cheers Alpineart
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Alpine when the only trees you mention in that thread are the ones that obviously have not had the method advocated by Boon used on them then I am sorry to say it makes me wonder what your motives are as this discussion is now becoming more complicated than it is worth. I did not set out to defame your method as I said I simply asked to understand it better.
There are three maturing trees in that thread that if you know what you are looking for you will see that the method Boon has advocated has worked very well for me.
The most obvious example may be the literati.
In just over a year of using the method advocated by Boon. We go from this
035.jpg

To this
pine 002.jpg
The amount of buds that I removed this Autumn was astounding. There was over 15 new buds on many after decandling last summer.
Boon will be here in about a month so I am sure he can shed some light on wether this method works here in Australia.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bretts on April 14th, 2012, 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Bretts , not complicating , i haven't got a clue what i'm looking for :whistle: just an amateur. In just over 2 seasons this pine has gone from this
100_5862.jpg
too this
SANY0468.JPG
keeping an astounding 95-98 % of the buds grown in place ON the tree . I certainly don't want to grow a huge amount buds only to remove them , i want to grow to keep them in the place i trimmed and plucked prior to growing them . Why grow a big tree to cut it down to a shohin ? Why grow all these shoots to remove them ? I prefer to grow them in the right place and keep them . I suppose i could cut them all off and grow them again . This tree is only 2 seasons in development . Are you suggesting all my other tree's grown buy Boons method , sorry to disappoint but none of My tree's or plants have had Boons method or Bonsai blends applied . I'm sure Boon would agree "there's more than one way to skin a cat"

Cheers Alpine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

OK now I'm confused.

Alpine I see your point, Brett I see your point.

Personally, I'm leaning towards trusting Boon. Anyone that can drink 27 cans of VB on a plane from Australia to England and then still be able to style JBP like he does, must know what he is doing :tounge: :D

Cheers,
Mojo
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Just spotted this:
alpineart wrote:
...mate a don't give a rats ass what a trainer looks like...
Simple, to the point and if more people in Australia embraced the concept, instead of refining trees before their time, bonsai would be better for it :tu: :tu:

Cheers,
Mojo
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by squizzy »

To be honest if you seen my trees then you would realize I most certainly dont give a rats arse in fact I probably dont give an elephants arse. Here have a look
pictures 271111 004.jpg
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55..............................

Return to “Pines and Junipers”