Picked up 5 Cherry trees from a cherry orchard today

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Picked up 5 Cherry trees from a cherry orchard today

Post by treeman »

Josh wrote:
alpineart wrote:
Not sure this quantifies or justifies the first comment any better :lost: Firstly you make a comment to just throw them out, then name the tree wrong, then again name the tree wrong (Prunus avium, commonly called wild cherry,sweet cherry, bird cherry,or gean) :lost: :lost: Of which these are none of :lost: :lost: :palm: Why do you assume they are P avium.. :?: :?: :?: :?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry

I think its fair to assume they are sweet cherries as they were dug up in a sweet cherry orchard. If they are (and that is my presumtion) then my contention stands. I also think it is rather trivial for you to pick up and carry on with a small oversight as to the correct botanical name. (Prunus dulcis (meaning sweet - hence my trip up) is not much better by the way)
So if you want justification as to why this is useless bonsai material. Here your are.

They don't ramify
They suffer all kinds of ailments including root rot, nematodes, borers, aphids, stem rot, branch die back.
They have week roots and are extremely susceptible to drought and water logging.
Their leaves are too big
They don't heal from pruning well
They don't respond to pruning well

I have tried most species of Prunus over the years and quickly came to the conclusion that these were a waste of time (even grafted ones, let alone seedlings. The only cherries (which are readily available here) worth considering are P campanulata and P incisa and their hybrids, and they are by NO MEANS easy!
Of course you don't have to take my word for it, (sometimes we just have to find out for ourselves) but there's a reason you don't see sweet cherry as bonsai.
And if they turn out to be something else.....if they are indeed cherries save some time and chuck'em. If they are plums, that's another story.

I think it's a mistake to encourage people with this stuff without having experience with it. You could steer them on a road to nowhere and life is too short!

BTW I'm not sure who I'm responing to here, the thread is rather convoluted and I'm too tired to work it out :shock:
Last edited by treeman on July 16th, 2014, 11:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mike
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

Nice looking stumps Josh but I fear Treeman has given sound advice.
I hope you succeed, the ones I dug 2 years ago have been disappointing to say the least.
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Homer911 »

Any updates on those cherries mate? Did they make it?
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Homer911 wrote:Any updates on those cherries mate? Did they make it?
They survived the dig no worries, and powered away. I had someone make me an offer on them that was pretty decent so I sold them and made some pretty good money off them. I don't know how he is going with them. I'll ask next time I catch up with him. If nothing else they were worth it just to sell.

Josh

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”